1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simultaneous eigenstate of angular momentum and hamiltonian

1. May 6, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    b.jpg
    The red box only
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I suppose we have to show
    L_3 (Π_1) | E,m> = λ (Π_1) | E,m>
    and
    H (Π_1) | E,m> = μ (Π_1) | E,m>
    And I guess there is something to do with the formula given? But they are in x_1 direction so what did they have to do with | E,m> ?
    Any hints given will be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2017 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Figure out the behavior of ##L_3## under the transformation induced by ##\Pi_1##.
    First show that the Hamiltonian commutes with ##\Pi_1##.

4. May 6, 2017 #3
    1.I don't know what Π_1 is representing , I mean,like position and momentum operator you have Xψ = xψ , Pψ = -ih d/dx ψ ,but here you have got something like ΠXΠ^-1 = -X which is not the usual form of Kψ = kψ. Then what can I do to compute [ H,Π } ?

2.Since L_3 is acting in the z-direction, Π L_3 ∏^-1 = L_3 ? so Π L_3 = L_3 Π and
    L_3 Π | E,m> = Π L_3 | E,m> = m Π | E,m> ?

However ,the question said Π X ∏^-1 is valid for position and momentum operator, but here we are dealing with angular momentum operator?

5. May 6, 2017 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##\Pi_1## is the parity operator in ##x## direction. It is defined by its action in position space on a wavefunction ##\psi(x_1,x_2,x_3)## by ##\Pi_1 \psi(x_1,x_2,x_3) = \psi(-x_1,x_2,x_3)##. But this is not necessary in the present problem since you are already given by its transformation properties.
    By expanding ##L_3 = x_1 p_2 - x_2 p_1## and using the properties of ##\Pi_1## as given in the question, calculate ##L_3 \Pi_1##.
    Don't compare them, one is the product between operators and the other one is the application of an operator on a state.
    No, it doesn't. It acts on the azimuthal coordinate instead, please review again your QM notes.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  6. May 6, 2017 #5
    Thanks I got the first part of red box:smile:. For the remaining part, I need to show that the Hamiltonian is degenerate. By definition that means E corresponds to more than 1 eigenstate. I am not sure , but from the form of eigenstate | E,m > and the equation H | E,m > = E | E,m > , we see that m does not appear in the eigenvalue of H so I guess m can play a role here? Like E corresponds to | E,1> , | E,0> and | E,-1> ; though I don't know the correct way of saying this.

7. May 6, 2017 #6

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes in an indirect way.
    To do this part, you can show that ##|E,m\rangle## and ##\Pi_1|E,m\rangle## correspond to the same energy but different ##m## values.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted