Simultaneous equation with Complex Numbers

Delta_{i1} = \left|\begin{array}{cc}2 & 5 - 2 j \\12 & 1 + 6 j\end{array}\right| = (2)(1 + 6 j) - (12)(5 - 2 j) = 2 + 12 j - 60 + 24 j = -58 + 36 jand the other is:\Delta_{i2} = \left|\begin{array}{cc}3 - j & 2 \\2 + j & 12\end{array}\right| = (3 - j)(
Jake2954
Solve the following simultaneous equations for the complex variables i1 and i2.

2= (3-j)i1 - (5-j2)i2………………(1)
12 = (2+j)i1 + (1+j6)i2………………(2)

Not sure how to attempt this question please can you help.

Thanking you in advance

Jake

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Jake! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Solve it the same way you would for real simultaneous equations :wink:

(and use eg 1/(3-j) = (3+j)/(32-j2))

t-t Please excuse my ignorance but I am learning out of a book and need a push in the right direction. Is it possible to show me step by step the correct approach as my head is spinning.

Jake2954 said:
t-t Please excuse my ignorance but I am learning out of a book and need a push in the right direction. Is it possible to show me step by step the correct approach as my head is spinning.

Sorry, Jake, this forum doesn't work that way. :redface:

Show us how you would solve this if all the coefficients were real. :smile:

Well the approach I would use is to make either i1 or i2 equal on line 1 + 2 by multiplying by the value of the opposite lines. Let's call them now line 3 + 4. Then I would subtract 4 from 3. This would leave only 1 unknown.

Still don't understand can anyone else help?

It's a linear system of 2 equations with two variables. You can use the method of determinants (Cramer's rule). One determinant is:

[tex]
\Delta = \left|\begin{array}{cc}
3 - j & 5 - 2 j \\

2 + j & 1 + 6 j
\end{array}\right| = (3 - j)(1 + 6 j) - (2 + j)(5 - 2 j) = 3 + 18 j - j - 6 j^2 - 10 + 4 j - 5 j + 2 j^2 = -3 + 16 j
[/tex]

1. What are simultaneous equations with complex numbers?

Simultaneous equations with complex numbers are equations that involve variables with real and imaginary components. They typically have the form of a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

2. How are simultaneous equations with complex numbers solved?

These equations can be solved using the same methods as equations with real numbers, such as substitution or elimination. However, the solutions will be complex numbers instead of real numbers.

3. Can simultaneous equations with complex numbers have multiple solutions?

Yes, these equations can have multiple solutions, just like equations with real numbers. However, the solutions may be complex numbers and may involve imaginary components.

4. Are there any special rules for solving simultaneous equations with complex numbers?

Yes, there are a few rules that are specific to solving equations with complex numbers. For example, when multiplying complex numbers, you must use the distributive property and remember that i squared is equal to -1.

5. How are simultaneous equations with complex numbers used in real life?

Simultaneous equations with complex numbers are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as electrical engineering, physics, and signal processing. They are also used in finance and economics to model complex systems and make predictions.