Since protons are not spherical, are their charge fields non-spherical?

In summary, the conversation discusses sources that talk about protons not being spherical, as well as other non-spherical objects such as molecules. It is mentioned that the proton has a spherical field at large distances, but at small distances, its charge distribution is lumpy due to the presence of quarks. There seems to be some disagreement about the extent of the proton's non-spherical shape, with some mentioning a "pretzel" shape, but this may depend on the definition of "spherical".
Physics news on Phys.org
(Oh USA Today, great source.)

Yes, they're talking about a non-spherical charge distribution.

But it's by no means generally accepted as fact that proton's aren't spherical. Those JLab results http://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRevC.77.015202" .

Yes, a molecule does not usually have a spherical charge distribution, since molecules aren't usually spherical, to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Franz Gross' paper is not in contradiction with JLab's results. Those people work at JLab ! What their paper say is that the form factors they calculate are not constrained by angular momentum. On the other hand, it is pretty well established that the densities of polarized quarks in polarized nucleons (both longitudinally and transversally) are not spherical, and that those observables are sensitive to angular momentum. We understand that from general theoretical arguments, and this is very well reproduced on the lattice.

Once again, it is unfortunate that public relation echos are often deformed from the original message.

I'm not quite sure what the actual result was before the media mangled it, but will nonetheless try and answer the OP.

At small distances, the proton charge distribution is quite lumpy - quarks carry charge and at small distances you can see quarks. At large distances, the field is spherical. The proton has an electric monopole moment (i.e. charge). It has no dipole moment, and QM forbids it from having a quadrupole or higher moment. So it's spherical.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm not quite sure what the actual result was before the media mangled it, but will nonetheless try and answer the OP.

At small distances, the proton charge distribution is quite lumpy - quarks carry charge and at small distances you can see quarks. At large distances, the field is spherical. The proton has an electric monopole moment (i.e. charge). It has no dipole moment, and QM forbids it from having a quadrupole or higher moment. So it's spherical.

Thank you! What's the minimum distance to make it spherical?

Just to give justice to the original work that was quoted in the article
Densities, Parton Distributions, and Measuring the Non-Spherical Shape of the Nucleon
Phys.Rev.C76:065209,2007

One may dismiss the question, or one may try to understand what is meant. Of course the proton is spherical on average. But it also sometimes looks like a pretzel when one selects certain combinations of spins for the quark and the proton. If you attended current conference on this research, you would actually hear the term "pretzelosity".

See also for instance fig. 4 in Transverse spin structure of the nucleon from lattice QCD simulations

Last edited:
How far Vanadium 50? Thanks.

humanino said:
Franz Gross' paper is not in contradiction with JLab's results.

Well, I didn't say it was. But it seems to me there is (or was?) some disagreement about which model fit the data better, and whether the models were 'spherical' or not, judging by e.g. http://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRevC.73.015203" by Miller.

I dunno, maybe it all boils down to how you define 'spherical'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope their result has nothing to do with the positive charge atomic form-factor since the latter depends on the atomic wave function.

1. What is a proton and why is it not spherical?

A proton is a subatomic particle that carries a positive charge and is found in the nucleus of an atom. It is not spherical because it is composed of smaller particles called quarks, which have an asymmetrical distribution within the proton.

2. How does the non-spherical shape of a proton affect its charge field?

The non-spherical shape of a proton does not affect its overall charge, as it still carries a positive charge. However, the uneven distribution of charge within the proton may result in a non-spherical charge field.

3. Is the charge field of a proton always non-spherical?

Yes, the charge field of a proton is always non-spherical due to the uneven distribution of charge within the particle.

4. How does the non-spherical charge field of a proton differ from a spherical charge field?

A non-spherical charge field is not symmetrical and has varying strengths and directions of electric fields around the proton. In contrast, a spherical charge field is symmetrical and has a uniform strength and direction of electric fields.

5. How does the non-spherical shape of a proton affect its interactions with other particles?

The non-spherical shape of a proton may affect its interactions with other particles, as the uneven distribution of charge can cause it to interact differently with other charged particles compared to a perfectly spherical proton. This can have implications in nuclear reactions and particle interactions.