Understanding the Limits and Derivatives of Sine and Cosine Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses various equations involving sine and cosine and their limits as h approaches 0. It also touches on the concept of left-hand and right-hand limits. The main takeaway is that understanding the concepts and not just memorizing equations is crucial in learning mathematics.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
In previous threads, I have asked about sine and cosine. The answer given by the members/mentors/advisor are very clear. But lengthy. Perhaps these yes/no questions that I can simply remember and not forget it (again).
So here we are
1. if h = 0 then sin(h) = 0
2. if ##\lim_{h \to 0}## then sin(h) 0
3. If ##\lim_{h \to 0}## then sin(h) has no limit

4. if h = 0 then sin(h)/h is undefined
5. if ##\lim_{h \to 0}## then sin(h)/h = 1
6. If ##\lim_{h \to 0}## then sin(h)/h has limit

7. if h = 0 then Cin(h) = 1
8. If ##\lim_{h \to 0}## then cos(h) 1
9. If ##\lim_{h \to 0}## then cos(h) has limit
---------------------------------------------------------------------
10. if ##\lim_{h \to 0}## does cos(h) - 1 has limit? If yes then what is the value?
11. if ##\lim_{h \to 0}## does (cos(h) - 1)/h has limit? If yes then what is the value?

And in the derivative of Sin(x)
##\lim_{h \to 0} \sin(x)\frac{\cos(h)-1}{h} + \cos(x)\frac{\sin(h)}{h}##
##\lim_{h \to 0} \sin(x)\frac{\cos(h)-1}{h} + \cos(x)##

So if the derivative of Sin(x) is Cos(x) then...
##\lim_{h \to 0} \sin(x)\frac{\cos(h)-1}{h}## should be zero. then...
12. ##\lim_{h \to 0} \cos(h)-1## should be zero, then...
13. ##\lim_{h \to 0} \cos(h) ## should be 1, then...
It seems number 13 contradicts number 8.
I would be very grateful if someone be sokind to answer me. But before that, could you confirm the yes/no question in number 1 to 9, please.
Thank you very much.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Stephanus said:
Dear PF Forum,
In previous threads, I have asked about sine and cosine. The answer given by the members/mentors/advisor are very clear. But lengthy. Perhaps these yes/no questions that I can simply remember and not forget it (again).
So here we are
1. if h = 0 then sin(h) = 0
Number 2 and 3 don't make sense.
##\lim_{h \to 0} \sin(h) = 0 ## but if h is approaching 0 then sin(h) 0.
4. if h = 0 then sin(h)/h is undefined
5. if ##\lim_{h \to 0}## then sin(h)/h = 1
6. If ##\lim_{h \to 0}## then sin(h)/h has limit
Similarly, I am not too sure of your notation.
##\lim_{h \to 0}sin(h)/h =1## is true.
No clue what you mean in number 6. Is this supposed to be a counterpoint to number 3 above?
9. If ##\lim_{h \to 0}## then cos(h) has limit
For 7, do you mean cos(h)? If so, yes.
Again, for 8 and 9, ##\lim_{h \to 0} \cos(h) = 1## but as h approaches 0, cos(h) approaches but is not equal to 1.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
10. if ##\lim_{h \to 0}## does cos(h) - 1 has limit? If yes then what is the value?
11. if ##\lim_{h \to 0}## does (cos(h) - 1)/h has limit? If yes then what is the value?
##\lim_{h \to 0} (\cos(h) - 1) = \lim_{h \to 0} (\cos(h) )- 1=1 -1 ##
11 is a good question. Do you know L'Hopital's rule? I would start there.
And in the derivative of Sin(x)
##\lim_{h \to 0} \sin(x)\frac{\cos(h)-1}{h} + \cos(x)\frac{\sin(h)}{h}##
##\lim_{h \to 0} \sin(x)\frac{\cos(h)-1}{h} + \cos(x)##
That checks out.
12. ##\lim_{h \to 0} \cos(h)-1## should be zero, then...
13. ##\lim_{h \to 0} \cos(h) ## should be 1, then...
It seems number 13 contradicts number 8.
I would be very grateful if someone be sokind to answer me. But before that, could you confirm the yes/no question in number 1 to 9, please.
Thank you very much.
Right. number 8 is wrong.

A very long series of "yes-no" questions is not a very efficient way to learn this stuff.

Why don't you try to learn the concepts and the notations? Memorizing a bunch of "if lim h" kinds of things is really going to do nothing but confuse you. Especially when you have them stated quite clumsily.

And, what you are memorising makes no sense. Not least, the derivative of sin is cos, there is no "if" about it. Perhaps more important, your post reveals you have not understood the concept of a limit. You are treating limit h -> 0 as an independent property of h, which is not correct.

This is not the way to do or learn rigorous mathematics, I'm sorry to say.

Likes Stephanus
Indeed. The best way to learn about limits is probably to grab a calculus textbook and, starting from the front, work your way through the book, answering every problem as you go.

Likes Stephanus
Concerning number two and three.
RUber said:
Stephanus said:
Number 2 and 3 don't make sense.
This is because someone told me that the limit musn't always exist.
Mark44 said:
Stephanus said:
Please confirm one more thing.
A. ##\lim h{\to 0} \text{ } \frac{6}{h} \rightarrow \text{ infinity}##[..]
No.
The limit doesn't exist. If you don't understand why, read up on left-hand and right-hand limits.
micromass said:
Yes. A limit exists if and only if the left-hand and right-hand limits exist and are equal.
So I am trying to understand this by testing some equations. I choose:
##\lim_{h \to 0}## then ##\sin(h)## 0 and
##\lim_{h \to 0}## then ##\sin(h)## has no limit.
##\lim_{h \to 0}## then ##\cos(h)## has limit.
Just to make sure if I understand left/right hand correctly.

RUber said:
Stephanus said:
For 7, do you mean cos(h)? If so, yes.
What?? That must be the effect of copy-paste.

RUber said:
##\lim_{h \to 0} \sin(h) = 0 ## but if h is approaching 0 then sin(h) 0.
So what is the different between
A: if ##\lim_{h \to 0}## then ##\sin(h) = 0## and
B: if h = 0 then ##\sin(h) = 0##?
Isn't the left/right hand of ##\lim_{h \to 0} \sin(h)## is different, but
The left/right hand of ##\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{6h}{h}## is equal, right.
Or
The left/right hand of ##\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\sin(h)}{h}## is also equal.
but ##\lim_{h \to 0} \sin(h)## the left/right is different.

DEvens said:
A very long series of "yes-no" questions is not a very efficient way to learn this stuff.

Why don't you try to learn the concepts and the notations? Memorizing a bunch of "if lim h" kinds of things is really going to do nothing but confuse you. Especially when you have them stated quite clumsily.
Thanks DEvens for your respons. It's not the equations that I intend to remember. It's the concept of limit that I try to understand. Here, I choose sine and cosine to study limit.
For example:
If h = 0 then sin(h) = 0
if ##\lim_{h \to 0}## is sin(h) = 0? I think sin(h) ≠ 0. But I need confirmation.

if h = 0 then sin(h)/h is undefined
if ##\lim_{h \to 0}## then sin(h)/h = 1. This what we were taught in high school. Now, I just want to know 'why'

PeroK said:
And, what you are memorising makes no sense. [..] Perhaps more important, your post reveals you have not understood the concept of a limit. You are treating limit h -> 0 as an independent property of h, which is not correct.

This is not the way to do or learn rigorous mathematics, I'm sorry to say.
Yes, today I learned that I don't know the concept of limit. I tought I knew all the way from high school. Thanks for pointing it out to me, so I know what to learn.

PeroK said:
Stephanus said:
Not least, the derivative of sin is cos, there is no "if" about it.
Perhaps the word "IF" is the wrong word for mathematic.
I should have written.
Because the derivative of Sin(x) is Cos(x) so the proof is:
##\lim_{h \to 0} \sin(x)\frac{\cos(h)-1}{h}## should be zero. then, etc...

But, I'm a computer programmer, I use if ... then ... instinctively.

Stephanus said:
Yes, today I learned that I don't know the concept of limit. I tought I knew all the way from high school. Thanks for pointing it out to me, so I know what to learn.Perhaps the word "IF" is the wrong word for mathematic.
I should have written.

What you have written still makes no mathematical sense. For example, as sin and cos are continuous functions we have:

##\forall x## ##\lim_{h \rightarrow x}sin(h) = sin(x)## and ##\lim_{h \rightarrow x}cos(h) = cos(x)##

There is no issue or mystery about these limits. The more interesting ones are:

##\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{sin(h)}{h} = 1## and ##\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{cos(h)-1}{h} = 0##

Which can be proved in any number of ways. For example, the second of these is actually the derivative of cos at 0:

##\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{cos(h)-1}{h} = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{cos(h)-cos(0)}{h-0} = cos'(0) = -sin(0) = 0##

That is mathematics.

(And being a computer programmer is no excuse!)

Likes Stephanus
As PeroK wrote, the limit of a continuous function is always defined and equal to the value of the function at the limit point.
The limit should be written ##\lim_{h\to 0} \sin h ## no if, no then. And it is said, the limit as h goes to zero of sine of h.
The left/right limits have to be evaluated for discontinuous functions like 1/x.

Can you plot the sin and coz functions? Visually, the derivatives and limits are rather easy to see.

Likes Stephanus
Stephanus said:
if h = 0 then sin(h)/h is undefined
if ##\lim_{h \to 0}## then sin(h)/h = 1. This what we were taught in high school. Now, I just want to know 'why'
Anything divided by zero is undefined--always. However, if the function is continuous on either side of the singularity (division by zero), then you can still do most things you would like to do with that function by just defining a value for the function at zero.
Example ##f(x) = sin x / x## is undefined at zero, but
##g(x)=\left\{ \begin{array}{l l} 1& if\, x=0\\ (\sin x)/x&if\, x\neq 0 \end{array}\right.##
Is equal to f(x) almost everywhere and is also continuous for all x.

Likes Stephanus
I would like to draw attention to what PeroK pointed out in response #4 and which does not seem to have sunk in.

The notation ##\lim_{h \to 0} \sin(h) = 0## is not a statement about h. It is not a statement about the value of sin(h) for any particular h. It is not a statement about the value of sin(0). Instead, it is a statement about the values that the ##\sin## function takes on in the neighborhood of zero. It is (roughly) a statement that as the neighborhoods around 0 get very very small, the values of the sin function within such neighborhoods are all very very close to zero.

Tearing the notation in two and treating it as if it were a statement about the value of the sin function at a single value is not correct.

Likes Stephanus
PeroK said:
What you have written still makes no mathematical sense. For example, as sin and cos are continuous functions we have:[..]
Thanks a lot. I'll remember all those equations thet you wrote. It's not memorizing. It's the 'misleading' that I'm afraid of.. Supposed, if I consider h = 0 and 6h/h = 6., then, I'll be mislead forever.
Of course being a computer programmer is no excuse, everybody has to grasp and grab basic math. What excuse is that I wrote
"if the derivative of sin(x) is cos(x) then.." While what I meant is "Because the derivative of sin(x) is cos(x) then the proof is ..."
"IF" implies that the derivative of sin(x) is might/might not be cos(x).
Believe me, it was typo. We were taught since high school that sin(x) is cos(x), but here in PF Forum for the first time the mentors/advisors enlight me the proof!. I must have missed class and fooled around that day :smile:

RUber said:
As PeroK wrote, the limit of a continuous function is always defined and equal to the value of the function at the limit point.
The limit should be written ##\lim_{h\to 0} \sin h ## no if, no then. And it is said, the limit as h goes to zero of sine of h.
The left/right limits have to be evaluated for discontinuous functions like 1/x.
Thanks a lot.
RUber said:
Can you plot the sin and coz functions? Visually, the derivatives and limits are rather easy to see.
Plot? What do you mean by plot? Drawing it? Well, it will be difficult with the tools in my computer.
But sin and cos curve are like wave, right?
Sine, with peak at pi/2 and trough at 0, Pi, 2Pi, 3Pi, etc...
And if we shift the cosine curve pi/2 to the left/right, it will match sine curve. I hope that is right.

RUber said:
Anything divided by zero is undefined--always. However, if the function is continuous on either side of the singularity (division by zero), then you can still do most things you would like to do with that function by just defining a value for the function at zero.
Example ##f(x) = sin x / x## is undefined at zero, but
##g(x)=\left\{ \begin{array}{l l} 1& if\, x=0\\ (\sin x)/x&if\, x\neq 0 \end{array}\right.##
Is equal to f(x) almost everywhere and is also continuous for all x.
Thanks. I'll remember the concept.

jbriggs444 said:
I would like to draw attention to what PeroK pointed out in response #4 and which does not seem to have sunk in.

The notation ##\lim_{h \to 0} \sin(h) = 0## is not a statement about h. It is not a statement about the value of sin(h) for any particular h. It is not a statement about the value of sin(0). Instead, it is a statement about the values that the ##\sin## function takes on in the neighborhood of zero. It is (roughly) a statement that as the neighborhoods around 0 get very very small, the values of the sin function within such neighborhoods are all very very close to zero.

Tearing the notation in two and treating it as if it were a statement about the value of the sin function at a single value is not correct.
Ok, I'll contemplate your answer.

What tools do you have on your computer? sin and cos are very common functions that most calculators can graph for you. There are also many online options, wolframalpha.com is useful.

Cosine shifted to the right, not left, by pi/2 will match sine.

Likes Stephanus
RUber said:
What tools do you have on your computer? sin and cos are very common functions that most calculators can graph for you. There are also many online options, wolframalpha.com is useful.

Tools? Only Microsoft Paint and Microsoft Excel. Of course I could make a small computer program to PutPixel(X,ScreenHeight-Sin(X/100*Pi)*100), but.. that will be tedious.
"Cosine shifted to the left not match sine"? I'll try to imagine that. But I want to answer your post first.
Correction:PutPixel(X,Round(ScreenHeight-Sin(X/100*Pi)*100))

Last edited:
RUber said:
That's right cosine shift to the left by 1.5Pi.
Peat at 1 and trough at -1, right. I imagined Peat at 1 and trough only at zero. Okay the period of the graph for cosine to sine is 0.5pi to the right.
[Add: Why didn't you correct my post? :smile:
Stephanus said:
Sine, with peak at pi/2 and trough at 0, Pi, 2Pi, 3Pi, etc...
]

Excel has okay built-in plotting tools. This plot of sin(x) took about 1 minute to make.
upload_2015-8-14_10-20-22.png

Functions that might be useful are sin(), cos(), and pi().

Likes Stephanus
Stephanus said:
Perhaps the word "IF" is the wrong word for mathematic.
I should have written.
You have that backwards.
The derivative of sin(x) is cos(x), in part because of the limit above, and in part because ##\lim_{h \to 0}\frac{sin(h)}{h} = 1##. In other words, the derivative of sin(x) is cos(x) because of the two limits, not the other way around.
Stephanus said:
Really? Even for loops or for statements that should execute one after the other? When you write code, do you always start off with "if ... then"?

Stephanus said:
Thanks a lot. I'll remember all those equations thet you wrote. It's not memorizing. It's the 'misleading' that I'm afraid of.. Supposed, if I consider h = 0 and 6h/h = 6., then, I'll be mislead forever.
Of course being a computer programmer is no excuse, everybody has to grasp and grab basic math. What excuse is that I wrote
"if the derivative of sin(x) is cos(x) then.." While what I meant is "Because the derivative of sin(x) is cos(x) then the proof is ..."
"IF" implies that the derivative of sin(x) is might/might not be cos(x).
Believe me, it was typo. We were taught since high school that sin(x) is cos(x)
Hopefully what you meant to say was "the derivative of sin(x) is cos(x)"
Stephanus said:
, but here in PF Forum for the first time the mentors/advisors enlight me the proof!. I must have missed class and fooled around that day :smile:

Likes Stephanus
Mark44 said:
You have that backwards.
The derivative of sin(x) is cos(x), in part because of the limit above, and in part because ##\lim_{h \to 0}\frac{sin(h)}{h} = 1##. In other words, the derivative of sin(x) is cos(x) because of the two limits, not the other way around.
Right! Now I think I like math language more than natural language. No ambiguity in math. Except for sinh-1(x), that mistakenly lead me to a wrong calculation.
Mark44 said:
Really? Even for loops or for statements that should execute one after the other? When you write code, do you always start off with "if ... then"?
Of course no. But it is planted in your way of thinking. I was thinking "If the derivative of sin(x) is cos(x) then I HAVE to find the proof to show that the derivative of sin(x) is cos(x)" Not that the derivative of sin(x) might not be cos(x).Well, "backward" is the right word. Because we are already shown that the derivative of sin(x) is cos(x), but rarely the proof.
Mark44 said:
Hopefully what you meant to say was "the derivative of sin(x) is cos(x)"
Another typo, sorry :smile:. Just realize now.

1. What is the definition of sine and cosine?

Sine and cosine are trigonometric functions that are used to relate the angles and sides of a right triangle. Sine is defined as the ratio of the length of the side opposite the angle to the length of the hypotenuse, while cosine is defined as the ratio of the length of the adjacent side to the length of the hypotenuse.

2. What is the relationship between sine and cosine?

Sine and cosine are closely related, as they are both trigonometric functions and are used to solve problems involving right triangles. The sine function is the reciprocal of the cosine function, and vice versa. In other words, sine and cosine are complementary functions.

3. How are sine and cosine used in real life?

Sine and cosine are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in navigation, engineering, and physics. For example, they can be used to calculate the height of a building or the distance between two points on a map.

4. What is the limit of sine and cosine as the angle approaches zero?

The limit of sine as the angle approaches zero is zero, while the limit of cosine as the angle approaches zero is 1. This means that as the angle gets closer and closer to zero, the values of sine and cosine approach these respective values.

5. How do you calculate the limit of a sine or cosine function?

The limit of a sine or cosine function can be calculated by evaluating the function at the specific angle and then taking the limit as the angle approaches the given value. This can be done using algebraic techniques or by using a calculator or graphing software.