Single slit diffraction and minimum intensity

In summary: The condition for minimum intensity in Fraunhoffer diffraction is that the extreme path difference is equal to integral numbers of wavelength. This is in contrast to the double slit experiment, where the condition for maximum intensity is that the path difference is equal to the integral number of wavelengths.
Ahmed Abdullah
In the single slit diffraction the condition for minimum intensity is that
Del S= n*lamda n=1,2,3,...natural number
the extreme path difference is equal to integral numbers of wavelength ( in the double slit experiment it is the condition for maximum intensity).

It is understandable in the case of double slit experiment when the path difference is equal to integral numbers of wavelength, then the two wave meets at the same phase, then we have maximum intensity at that particular point.
But when it comes with single slit the scenario is reversed. Isn't it the only factor that determine the intensity of light wave at any particular point -with which EXTENT OF PHASE DIFFERENCE two wave meet there?

So why Del S= n*lamda for minimum intensity? If the extreme path difference Del S is the only and net path difference then the waves having extreme path difference Del S= n*lamda will meet with same phase, giving rise to a maximum.
when the light wave pass through the slit it is diffracted to certain amount and fall on the lens, these are parallel rays and the lens converge them on the focal plane. But these rays are not parallel to the principle axis of the lens. So the converging path of the two rays are not equal. I justifies (i may be wrong , cos i have no clues; my textbooks explained nothing about this)that this path difference should be odd multiples of half wavelength (i.e m*lamda/2 where m=1,3,5,7...) . SO that when two rays have the path difference Del S= n*lamda on to the lens ( extreme path difference) they would still have to follow a converging path that will force them to meet out of phase and thus giving rise to minumum intensity.
These are how i can think so far. Please make correction of my analysis.
Waiting for you sensible response. :shy:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...t/sinslit.html says the condition for minimum intensity is asinθ=mλ
Isn't asinθ=extreme path difference?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is single slit diffraction?

Single slit diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when a beam of light passes through a narrow opening or slit. This causes the light to spread out and interfere with itself, resulting in a diffraction pattern.

2. How does single slit diffraction affect the intensity of light?

The intensity of light is affected by single slit diffraction because the light is spread out and the waves interfere with each other, resulting in areas of constructive and destructive interference. This causes the intensity of light to vary across the diffraction pattern.

3. What is the minimum intensity in single slit diffraction?

The minimum intensity in single slit diffraction occurs at the center of the diffraction pattern. This is known as the central maximum and is caused by the constructive interference of all the waves passing through the slit.

4. How is the width of the slit related to the minimum intensity in single slit diffraction?

The width of the slit is directly related to the minimum intensity in single slit diffraction. As the width of the slit decreases, the central maximum becomes wider and the minimum intensity decreases. This is because a narrower slit causes more diffraction and increases the number of waves interfering at the center.

5. How is the distance between the slit and the screen related to the minimum intensity in single slit diffraction?

The distance between the slit and the screen is inversely related to the minimum intensity in single slit diffraction. As the distance increases, the central maximum becomes narrower and the minimum intensity increases. This is because the waves spread out more as they travel a longer distance, resulting in less interference at the center.