Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Site that clearly explains transistors

1. May 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

friends,
    i have difficulty in applying KIRCHOFF VOLTAGE LAW in transistors. i am confused because it is totally different from circuits with batteries and resistances where finding the path of closed loop is easy say wheatstone's bridge.
    but in transistor i cannot understand a statement like this " apply KVL TO Vbe loop or Vce loop.
    can anyone give a link to a website which clearly explains these concepts?
    help in this regard will be greatly appreciated

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2010 #2
    It means to say apply the KVL from the base to the emitter or from the collector to the emitter. Could you give an example of what confuses you?

4. May 19, 2010 #3
    both from base to emitter and also from collector to emitter. i am confused which is the starting point and the path. for example, which is positive and which is negative when i find Vbe and Vce.

5. May 20, 2010 #4
    Here, I just googled transistor circuit and clicked on one of the first websites, so here's a random example.

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/trancirc.htm

Look at that first transistor circuit, the one with LEDs. The Vbe loop goes from the 9V to 470 to LED C to vce to gnd. The Vbe loop goes from 9V to switch to led to vbe to gnd.

6. May 20, 2010 #5
    dear mr. mindscrape, thanks a ton for the link.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook