1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketching exponential curves with complex numbers

1. Jan 5, 2012 #1
    How do you go about sketching y as a function of t for t≥0

y= e(0.5t + i(√7/2)t) - e(0.5t-i(√7/2)t)

I know it goes through the origin, and the gradient is positive here. But i'm unsure on how to deal with the imaginary numbers when I have a graph of y vs t.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Can you try to simplify it using the definition of complex exponentiation. That is:

[tex]e^{a+ib}=e^a(\cos(b)+i\sin(b))[/tex]

4. Jan 5, 2012 #3
    Thanks for that idea, I have done that and am left with

y=e0.5t ( i 2 sin (√7/2)t )

But as I am meant to be plotting y as a function of t, I don't see how the imaginary part will factor in

5. Jan 5, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, it will be immediately obvious that no point on the curve will have a real part. So the curve will only move on the imaginary axis.

6. Jan 5, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In general, a function from R to C (real numbers to complex numbers) requires two dimensions for the value as well as one dimension for the argument- in other words, a three dimensional graph! However, as micromass points out, [itex]y= [e^{0.5t}sin(\sqrt{7}{2}t)]i[/itex] is always imaginary so you you really only need a single dimension for that.

Graph [itex]y= e^{0.5t}sin((\sqrt{7}/2)t)[/itex], clearly labeling the "y" axis as imaginary numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook