Sketching graph of f(x) from graph of f'(x)

• Thread starter CustardTheory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, this concept of concavity is useful in understanding the direction and rough changes in slope to find concavity. It's also helpful to visualize the function from f'(x), when f'(x) goes off inflecting without crossing the x axis. If you want a more concretely physical way to imagine it, just think of the functions f(x), f'(x) and f''(x) representing position, velocity, and acceleration, respectively.
CustardTheory
Hi all,

I understand that in the graph of f'(x), zeros and local extrema are local extrema and points of inflection, respectively, for f(x). The basic concept of checking direction and rough changes in slope to find concavity also makes sense to me.
However, I'm having a bit of a mental block trying to visualize f(x) from f'(x) when f'(x) goes off inflecting without crossing the x axis.

http://imageshack.us/a/img202/5001/captureipi.png

For example, in the above graph I understand what's happening at the first critical point and when h'(x) crosses the x axis, but I don't logically understand what's going on after the second zero. I can easily go through like a robot to find concavity via the second derivative, but I'd like to actually understand the logic behind what's happening here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
CustardTheory said:
]I can easily go through like a robot to find concavity via the second derivative, but I'd like to actually understand the logic behind what's happening here.

That essentially is the logic of what's happening here. Since the second derivative gives you concavity information, you should be able to grasp what's happening to f(x). Drawing graphs that satisfy the necessary f'(x) and f''(x) conditions should give you this intuition if you don't feel like you have it already. Just think about what happens when the concavity of the function changes while the first derivative remains positive. What should that look like?

If you want a more concretely physical way to imagine it, just think of the functions f(x), f'(x) and f''(x) representing position, velocity, and acceleration, respectively.

Ah ok. It finally clicked. I think my definition of concavity was just off.
I thought it needed to be a full U shape to be counted as concave up or concave down. Am I correct in saying that this doesn't need to be the case?

CustardTheory said:
Ah ok. It finally clicked. I think my definition of concavity was just off.
I thought it needed to be a full U shape to be counted as concave up or concave down. Am I correct in saying that this doesn't need to be the case?

Yes that is correct, one way to visualize it might be that positive or negative concavity at a point defines whether the function is "curving up" or "curving down," relative to the tangent line at that point. Whether the tangent line sits "below" or "on top" of the function, so to speak. At point where concavity changes (f''(x) = 0), the tangent line will be on top of the function to one side of x, and below on the other.

Quantitatively, of course, it's just a measure of the instantaneous rate of change of the slope of f(x).

1. What is the purpose of sketching a graph of f(x) from the graph of f'(x)?

The purpose of sketching a graph of f(x) from the graph of f'(x) is to visually represent the relationship between the original function f(x) and its derivative f'(x). This can help in understanding the behavior and characteristics of the function and its derivative.

2. What information can be obtained from the graph of f'(x) to sketch the graph of f(x)?

The graph of f'(x) can provide information about the slope and direction of the tangent lines at different points on the graph of f(x). This can be used to plot the increasing and decreasing intervals, local extrema, and points of inflection on the graph of f(x).

3. How do I determine the x-intercepts of the graph of f(x) from the graph of f'(x)?

The x-intercepts of the graph of f(x) correspond to the roots of f'(x). To find these points, set f'(x) equal to zero and solve for x. These x-values can then be plotted on the graph of f(x) as the x-intercepts.

4. Can the graph of f(x) be sketched without knowing the graph of f'(x)?

Yes, it is possible to sketch the graph of f(x) without knowing the graph of f'(x). However, having knowledge of the graph of f'(x) can provide additional insights and make the sketching process easier and more accurate.

5. Are there any limitations to sketching the graph of f(x) from the graph of f'(x)?

Yes, there are some limitations to this method. It may not be possible to sketch the entire graph of f(x) accurately from the graph of f'(x) if the original function has complex behavior or multiple points of inflection. In such cases, additional information and techniques may be required to accurately sketch the graph of f(x).