1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketching loci in the complex plane

1. Dec 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Make a sketch of the complex plane showing a typical pair of complex numbers
    z1 and z2

Describe the geometrical figure whose vertices
    are z1, z2 and z0 = a + i0.

2. Relevant equations

z2 − z1 = (z1 − a)ei2π/3

a − z2 = (z2 − z1)i2π/3

where a is a real positive constant.

3. The attempt at a solution

I really am not sure what to do on this question, my initial thoughts were that the solution would look like 3 lines in the complex plane all 2π/3 apart so that it would look like the solution to a roots of unity question.

I tried to rearrange to give z2 in terms of a which yielded

z2(1+e2πi/3 - e2πi/3/(1+e2πi/3) = a(1+e4πi/3/(1+e2πi/3))

But to be honest I really don't know where I am going with this!
    Thanks in advance!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2012 #2
    I think you're missing an "e" in your second "relevant equation" and that you mean
    a − z2 = (z2 − z1) ei2π/3
    instead. If that's right, you might try to interpret geometrically what multiplying a complex number by ei2π/3 means.

4. Dec 18, 2012 #3
    e2πi/3=-1/2 +i√3/2 so multiplying by it would change the real and imaginary components accordingly.

So would it be best to split into real and imaginary components so z1=x1=iy1 and z2=x2+iy2, then substitute these into the equations?
    Which i think gives

z2=1/2(x1+a) + i3y1√3 /2

5. Dec 18, 2012 #4
    That doesn't really say a lot. What does such a multiplication f(z) = ze2πi/3 look like geometrically? If you sketch 1 and f(1) in the complex plane, how could you describe the geometrical operation that takes you from 1 to f(1)? How about 1/2 and f(1/2)? How about 1+i and f(1+i)? If you can discover some similarity, you can apply this knowledge to your original problem.

6. Jan 7, 2013 #5
    Ok, so does it rotate them by 2π/3 keeping the same magnitude?

But I'm still struggling to work out my problem from this. Do I need to just think about it or can I actually solve the problem using the equations, because I've tried eliminating to no avail?

7. Jan 7, 2013 #6
    Actually I think I might have worked it out. I think it is just the solutions to z^3=1 so

1, e[itex]\frac{2\pi i}{3}[/itex], e[itex]\frac{4\pi i}{3}[/itex]

I tried it for the equations and it worked, is this right? They are all rotations of 2pi/3 of each other so it does make sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook