1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketching/solving polar: r^2=a^2*cos2t

1. Dec 29, 2005 #1
    Sketch (in the x-y plane): r^2=a^2*cos2t where r and t are polar coordinates.

I simply am not able to convert this formula to x and y.
    I have gotten as far as:
    or r^4=a^2(r^2*cost^2-r^2*sint^2)
    using r = x^2+y^2, cos2t=1-sint^2, x = rcost and y = rsint but I simply can not get any further.

Please give any hints you think might help me solve this.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see why you need to convert to Cartesian coordinates. You can make a sketch of the relation directly. [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle relative to the x-axis and r is the distance from the origin.
  4. Dec 29, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Try this: take [itex]\theta= 0, \pi/4, \pi/2, \pi/3,[/itex] etc. and see what you get for r: graph those points in polar coordinates.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2006
  5. Dec 29, 2005 #4
    well, there is now way to isolate y from x using cartesian coordianres, its really easier to see whats going on in polar coordinates.
    the best way is to do as suggested, and plot what you get on x-y plane.
  6. Jan 1, 2006 #5
    I dunno how to use polar coordinates to sketch, If I have it in cartesians I could do y=0, y'=0, x=0, find asymptotes and such.
    How can I find this to help me sketch in polar coordinates?

[itex]\theta= 0, \pi/4, \pi/2, \pi/3,[/itex]
    I'll try to work around with this and see what it gets me, what's a^2 though?
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2006
  7. Jan 1, 2006 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do as Halls suggested. For example, when [itex]\theta = 0[/itex] you know that the point lies on the x axis. Evaluate the expresstion when [itex]\theta = 0[/itex] to find out how far from the origin the corresponding point is. Then place a point r units from the origin and on the x axis corresponding to that point.

Next try [itex]\theta = \pi / 4[/itex] which you know lies along a line at 45 degrees above the x axis. Find the distance to that point using your formula and place a point that far from the origin and along the line y = x on your graph. Do this for several values of [itex]\theta[/itex].

Also, your graph will depend on the parameter a. Do all of the above for different values of a like a = 1, a = 1/2, a = 2 etc.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?