Skipping a class (temporarily) a bad idea?

• Thread starter m00npirate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class Idea
In summary, if you don't have any other classes that you need to take to meet prerequisites, it would be advisable to try to learn ODE over the summer and take this statistical mechanics class next semester.
m00npirate
I want to take a statistical physics class next semester which requires that I take ODE first, and recommends that I have taken linear algebra as well.

Since I will not be able to take ODE until 2 semesters from now, due to the physics-major version only being offered in the spring (i realize now I should have taken it THIS semester, but its a bit late!) would it be inadvisable to try to learn ODE over the summer and take this statistical mechanics class next semester? I would just wait until next year (3 semesters) to take this, but because I am a math/physics double major, I have many classes that I need to take then as well, and it would make my schedule work out much more nicely.
I am, however, taking linear algebra next semester.
The other alternative is to take intro Algebra next semester instead.

Your feedback is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are there any other classes you'll need to take eventually anyway that you already meet the prereqs for? If the alternative is a gaping hole in your schedule, it might be worth taking the risk. Otherwise, if you have other classes you can plug in, I'd do it that way.

m00npirate said:
would it be inadvisable to try to learn ODE over the summer and take this statistical mechanics class next semester?

I also did a dual major in math/physics and I had to make many choices like the one you are describing. In my case I had to take upper division electromagnetism before taking ODE, and it worked out fine. I learned all the ODE methods I needed from my E&M textbook, combined with a good knowledge of calculus. The only physics class that I wouldn't recommend skipping any prerequisites for is quantum mechanics, since that class needs all the math background it can get!

I'm a late comer to math and physics with a previous degree in an unrelated field. Because I'm really only taking the major/minor specific courses, it seems I'm forever in the position of taking courses I don't have every pre-requisite for.
It hasn't been a fatal situation yet, but it is harder to get an understanding of what is going on when you don't have the proper background to make mental analogies of the topics.

1. Is it okay to skip a class occasionally?

It is generally not recommended to skip a class, even if it is only occasionally. Consistent attendance is important for understanding and retaining course material, as well as maintaining a good relationship with the instructor.

2. Will skipping a class affect my grades?

Skipping a class can potentially have a negative impact on your grades. If you miss important lectures, discussions, or assignments, it can make it more difficult to do well in the course. It is best to communicate with your instructor if you need to miss a class due to extenuating circumstances.

3. Can I make up the missed class material on my own?

While it is possible to catch up on missed material by studying on your own, it may not be as effective as attending the class. You may miss important discussions, demonstrations, or group activities that are not easily replicated outside of class. Additionally, the instructor may not be available to answer questions or clarify any confusion.

4. Is it a bad idea to skip a class if I am feeling overwhelmed or stressed?

In some cases, it may be necessary to prioritize self-care and take a break from classes if you are feeling overwhelmed or stressed. However, it is important to communicate with your instructor and make a plan for catching up on missed material. Skipping class should not become a regular coping mechanism for academic stress.

5. Are there any benefits to occasionally skipping a class?

While it is generally not advisable to skip a class, there may be some rare circumstances where it could be beneficial. For example, if you have a job interview or important personal commitment that cannot be rescheduled. However, these instances should be rare and carefully considered, and you should communicate with your instructor beforehand.