Calc 2, Linear Algbera, PHY 1, Design class and Gen Chem 2, bad idea?

In summary: You'll have to work hard and manage your time well to keep up with everything. But if you're a strong student and confident in your abilities, then it's doable. Just be prepared for a heavy workload and make sure to stay on top of all your classes.
Metta
University physics with lab
general chemistry 2 with lab
Design class
linear Algebra
Culculs 2.

Does this look like an overload? At times it feels like it is and at times it feels like it can be done.
the mechanics course and the general chemistry course both come with labs which is the reason I am a bit worried. Also, has anyone here taken Calc 2 and linear algebra in the same semester?

Physics news on Phys.org
linear algebra is largely independent of calculus (you don't need the skills of one to understand the other), so you can take it any time you want. That being said, if it's a proof-based upper level math course and not more geared toward applications, I might take it later on unless you really have to get it done this semester.

I think it's too much. Cal II is 5 units, the two with lab must be 4 units each. The other two are...say 3 units each. So you are talking about 19 units...give and take. Other than design class which I have no idea what it is, all the others are not easy units. Cal II is not easy, there is no easy chem class I know of as I was a chem major! General physics is ok, but it's not a cake walk. Why don't you mix in some easy electives. How can you even find the time? The lab classes are very time consuming.

You don't want to over load and not learn them well enough. It's particular important to really understand the math class.

the thing is I want to transfer for my last two years in two semesters. If I can complete the classes above, then that mean I can take the phy 2, calc 3, diff equations, circuits and then transfer.

I realize it is not a walk in the park by no means but I was just wondering if anyone else has taken these classes.

I didn't have that exact same schedule, but something similar.

Calc 3
General Physics 1
ODEs
Math Programming 1
Intro Abstract Math (basically an introduction to proof writing)

I had 1 less lab than you did. It was a hectic semester and I certainly wouldn't want to do it again. But I made it through with good grades. Are you at a community college? If you've taken a lot of credits in one semester before, you should be just fine. If not, I would be careful about burning out or neglecting a class or two. Best of luck.

Metta said:
the thing is I want to transfer for my last two years in two semesters. If I can complete the classes above, then that mean I can take the phy 2, calc 3, diff equations, circuits and then transfer.

I realize it is not a walk in the park by no means but I was just wondering if anyone else has taken these classes.

How's your grades so far? What did you get in Cal I? Why do you want to rush this bad? So you try to study the first two years in one year? Well, your list for the next semester looks quite hard too. Sounds like you already make up your mind already.

You know you need to fulfill all the electives also. You rush through all these, but you still have to stop and complete all the electives before you can get your degree. So again, why do you want to take all the hard ones like this?

Are you EE major? If so, the third year is not going to be easy, that EM class is something else. You better be very good in cal III for that.

Metta said:
Design class
linear Algebra
Culculs 2.

Does this look like an overload? At times it feels like it is and at times it feels like it can be done.
the mechanics course and the general chemistry course both come with labs which is the reason I am a bit worried. Also, has anyone here taken Calc 2 and linear algebra in the same semester?

That's way too much. Calculus 2 was the hardest math class that I have taken as an engineering major outside of applied mathematics for engineers (partial differential equations). That class is not something you want to go and mix up with a lot of difficult courses with labs like chemistry and physics. Even if you understand the content, I found that the labs being 3 hours each were time consuming so I ended up still being crunched for time. I took

Calculus 3
Numerical Methods for Engineers
Physics 2
Statistics for Engineers
Programming

In one semester and it was hell. But you want to add two courses with a lab in addition to calculus 2 and a design class. Oh and my calculus 2 class had a lab which involved using Matlab and Maple to model practical things. We designed goblets, roller coasters, fractals. I'm forgetting the last one but we had four projects. Linear Algebra isn't too bad though.

I recommend

Physics
Linear Algebra
Easy Elective
Design Course

Circuits isn't difficult either and it should only require calculus 1 so you should be able to take that now as well for 16 hours.

I think you could manage this but physics and chemistry will take up a lot of time. This means you will need to be efficient at learning the calculus and linear algebra, which is saying something because math can be difficult to understand. It'll mean working every day to make sure you understand everything you have learned. Each day's question will be, do I understand everything so far?

Metta said:
Design class
linear Algebra
Culculs 2.

It depends. If you're an average student, you might be taking on more than you can handle time-wise. On the other hand, if you're one of those types where these subjects seem to come easily to you, I'd say that schedule is easily manageable. The fact that you're asking suggests you might be part of the former population, not the latter.

Do you have a job? It's important to leave yourself some down time where you don't have to work or worry about classes.

You could always just sign up for all the courses and see how it works out in the beginning. Maybe you'll find you have nothing to worry about, or perhaps you'll find the intense load exhilarating. If it turns out you realize it's too much work, you can always drop a course.

vela said:
It depends. If you're an average student, you might be taking on more than you can handle time-wise. On the other hand, if you're one of those types where these subjects seem to come easily to you, I'd say that schedule is easily manageable. The fact that you're asking suggests you might be part of the former population, not the latter.

Do you have a job? It's important to leave yourself some down time where you don't have to work or worry about classes.

You could always just sign up for all the courses and see how it works out in the beginning. Maybe you'll find you have nothing to worry about, or perhaps you'll find the intense load exhilarating. If it turns out you realize it's too much work, you can always drop a course.

You are right in the sense that I am part of the average crew. I have to work hard before things click. I kinda worked out a better schedule, or so I think.

For this spring, I'll do Calc 2, linear algebra, phys 121, a design class and a cultural diversity class.

Then in the summer, I'll take the General chemistry class.

Come fall, I'll take the calc 3, diff equation, design class part 3, and E&M with lab, and an economics class. It still looks rigorous, but less rigorous, I think. Basically, the idea is to transfer spring 2015.

and to answer your question, yes I work. 3 days a week, friday to sunday. 24hours total.

caldweab said:
That's way too much. Calculus 2 was the hardest math class that I have taken as an engineering major outside of applied mathematics for engineers (partial differential equations). That class is not something you want to go and mix up with a lot of difficult courses with labs like chemistry and physics. Even if you understand the content, I found that the labs being 3 hours each were time consuming so I ended up still being crunched for time. I took

Calculus 3
Numerical Methods for Engineers
Physics 2
Statistics for Engineers
Programming

In one semester and it was hell. But you want to add two courses with a lab in addition to calculus 2 and a design class. Oh and my calculus 2 class had a lab which involved using Matlab and Maple to model practical things. We designed goblets, roller coasters, fractals. I'm forgetting the last one but we had four projects. Linear Algebra isn't too bad though.

I recommend

Physics
Linear Algebra
Easy Elective
Design Course

Circuits isn't difficult either and it should only require calculus 1 so you should be able to take that now as well for 16 hours.
I cringe whenever I heard statistics for engineers. Thank god I don't need to take it. thanks for the advise.

Taking general chemistry course is probably a waste of time. Since all the foundations are physics, you can just read book by yourself.

Last edited:
Really the first question to ask yourself is whether or not this is a standard courseload for your program. If you go to a two semester a year school (i.e. fall, winter, summer break) then five courses per semester is fairly typical. To be honest, I looked at the original list and wonder why you would even bother asking the question.

Overloading is where you take more than this standard course load, i.e. six courses or more.

That said, I can understand why someone may need to drop a course. Some people have to hold down part-time jobs. Some people have comittments to family.

If you are thinking of playing the game of dropping a course that you want to take for something you think will be easier so you will raise your GPA, I would strongly advise against it. Too often people get caught in the trap of taking what they think will be easy courses only to struggle with them and not only end up with the low GPAs they were trying to avoid, but also without having taken the courses they really want to take.

i finished the entire math major in one year with a 3.8 gpa, so i think you can easily do this (yep, analysis, linear algebra, diff eq, vector, geo, pde, etc). youll have a week to drop if you need to so gauge it then.

Too much. Way too much. From what I heard, General Chemistry 2 is very hard and a big step from Gen Chem 1. Calc 2 requires you to always be on top of it. The reason I was successful in Calc 2 was because I was always ontop of things. Linear Algebra is completely different from Calculus 1 and 2, but it is similar to Calc 3 because they both deal with vectors, 3-d coordinates, and planes. At your level, though, I would drop the linear algebra class because if you are like me and have trouble grasping abstract mathematics, then you are going to need extra time to study for it, and with your current schedule, you will not find that time. Physics 1, however, should be fine, since the workload and concepts are very simple.

Overall, I would just drop linear algebra and keep everything else you have. The amount of classes you have without Linear Algebra is hard enough, and adding Linear Algebra (arguably harder than Diff EQ and Calc 2) will be overkill.

@JoeyCentral
Metta asked this question 2 years ago. I suspect the decision has been made.

lol well I'd hope so. Thanks for pointing that out, since I was totally unaware of the date that was posted.

1. What is Calc 2 and why is it important?

Calc 2, or Calculus 2, is a higher level math course that builds upon the concepts learned in Calculus 1. It covers topics such as integration techniques, differential equations, and sequences and series. It is important for students pursuing degrees in math, science, engineering, and other fields that require advanced mathematical skills.

2. What is Linear Algebra and how does it relate to Calc 2?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It is closely related to Calc 2 as it is used to solve systems of linear equations, which is an important concept in Calculus.

3. What does PHY 1 cover and why is it included in a science curriculum?

PHY 1, or Physics 1, is an introductory course in physics that covers topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and waves. It is included in a science curriculum because physics is a fundamental science that helps us understand the physical world around us and is the basis for many other scientific fields.

4. Why is taking a Design class beneficial for students in science and engineering?

A Design class teaches students how to approach problems creatively and come up with practical solutions. This skill is crucial for students in science and engineering fields as they will encounter real-world problems that require innovative thinking and problem-solving abilities.

5. Is taking Gen Chem 2 a bad idea?

It depends on the individual student's academic goals and abilities. Gen Chem 2, or General Chemistry 2, is a continuation of Gen Chem 1 and covers topics such as chemical kinetics, thermodynamics, and electrochemistry. It is important for students pursuing degrees in chemistry, biochemistry, and other related fields. However, if a student is struggling with Gen Chem 1, it may be a good idea to reconsider taking Gen Chem 2 until they have a better understanding of the foundational material.