Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slacker uprising - new Moore film

1. Sep 23, 2008 #1
    Movie is available for online viewing:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GIYC4K

or for download at:

http://slackeruprising.hypernia.com/SlackerUprising_640x360.avi (unfortunately this is down now)

or bittorrent:
    http://slackeruprising.com/download/SlackerUprising_640x360.avi.torrent (moore released it himself)
    You can also get it on itunes etc.

Looks interesting. About college kids and voting, I assume.

Hopefully Moore will show what happened to him when he came to Utah State Univeristy and conservatives tried to force the Univeristy not to let him speak - just like what they do in totalitarian countries.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2008 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fallacy: guilt by association. That 'evil' people do it doesn't mean that it's bad thing.

4. Sep 23, 2008 #3
    I didn't say it was wrong because they do it in totalitarian countries. I said trying to censor people is what they do in totalitarian countries, which is true.

Trying to stop people from speaking is wrong because it's been understood for centuries now what value freedom of speech is to a functioning democracy. So countries that try and censor it, some European countries, are wrong. The US has been wrong on this issue as well and in the US freedom of speech is stifled by the market place, through state backed media companies.

This movie really shows the value of bittorrent, if film makers, or independent film makers, want to release something though bit torrent, they should be able to.

I don't agree with intellectual property laws that would force technologies to close down, such as bittorrent, just because they can potentially be used for bad things.

You could give that argument for any item, or tool.

5. Sep 23, 2008 #4
    *Sigh* I do believe stupid people with stupid opinions and ideas should not be allowed a platform.

6. Sep 23, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd rather educational funding be used for educational speakers, not fanatics with publicists.

7. Sep 23, 2008 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

There is a difference between someone with something of value to say and Michael Moore.

8. Sep 23, 2008 #7
    If people show up they obviously find his message of value.

Universities host popular speakers all the time - Sean Hannity has also been at Utah state.

Also, Moore was generally more correct than the media. He was right to talk about issues regarding WMDs, no-bid contracts, US history in the region, etc. (Which Moore talks about in the film.)

And I'd be willing to wager a media watchdog group would find more inaccuracies in a day of FOX news "journalism" than they'd ever find in a Moore film.

9. Sep 23, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uh, yeah, right. :uhh: People gawk at car wrecks too. It doesn't mean there's anything of value there, just something to horrific they can't help but look.

10. Sep 23, 2008 #9
    A car has never been a NY-Times best-selling author, nor has a car ever made the top-grossing documentary of all time. I believe tickets were sold to that event as well.

Anyway, Moore is certainly relevant to college campuses: popular political culture; I don't find Neal Boortz of value, or most other conservative authors, but I don't think they shouldn't be able to speak on campuses.

11. Sep 23, 2008 #10

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some European countries do what now?

12. Sep 23, 2008 #11
    In many European countries you can be imprisoned for political speech.

I.e France and Faurisson, David Irving, in Vienna, I believe, and so on.

I thought this was pretty well known in politics.

13. Sep 23, 2008 #12

Evo

Don't mistake shock value and curiosity for something of merit.

14. Sep 23, 2008 #13
    So what? The Pope was popular too. Does that mean what Moore and the Pope says is true? No. If you think so then you're appealing to popularity.

15. Sep 23, 2008 #14
    No, but I think a lot of people would certainly want to hear what the Pope had to say as well.

Certainly the Pope would be even more relevant on a college campus as well: religious studies; a religious authority who helps determine the doctrine to the following of millions.

16. Sep 23, 2008 #15
    Just because people want to hear what he says doesn't mean what he says has any merit to it.

He's only an authority on religious studies. Anything else would merely be his opinion and just another dude touting his opinion.

17. Sep 23, 2008 #16

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In this context... Just Wow.

What has "truth" got to do with anything. Are not college students supposed to be bright and inquiring? Should now they be able to analyze the content of a speech and determine its value for themselves? It certainly is NOT in the spirit of this country to deny someone the right to speak just because some political group thinks they may disagree with what is going to be said.

I am appalled at the people in this thread who seem to be ok with this repressive mind set.

I have to admit that I am at a bit of a disadvantage, having never watched any of Michael Moore's movies.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  18. Sep 23, 2008 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You mean MOCKumentary. There are plenty of fictional novels on the NYTimes best seller list. Their popularity doesn't make them more truthful. If people are interested in what he has to say, they can see his movies. They don't need educational funding used to line his pockets and fund his soapbox unless it's through the drama department.

19. Sep 23, 2008 #18
    That is an opinion.

As for free-speech in Europe, I remember a presentation a kid gave on political correctness in video games, and he went over all the precautions US game makers have to deal with in European countries like Germany - such as ID software and their game Wolfenstein, which had Nazi imagery in it, which is actually banned there. That's just like banning the confederate flag here from ever being displayed.

That type of thinking is normal in maybe a totalitarian dictatorship but it should be foreign to a democracy and I think the US has far better laws on free-speech than Europe, especially France and some other countries where you can get years in prison for what amounts to essentially, speech. Chomsky has pointed that out.

"Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you're in favor of free speech, then you're in favor of freedom of speech precisely for views you despise. Otherwise, you're not in favor of free speech." --Noam Chomsky

I agree, it's simple; and I certainly wouldn't favor any "speech-codes" that are cropping up on college campuses, espeically on publicly funded Universities.

20. Sep 23, 2008 #19

Evo

A universty has responsibilty for a certain level of academic integrity.

21. Sep 23, 2008 #20
    Wait a minute, are you, OrbitalPower, suggesting that the U.S. is a despotic country? If so, wow, the paranoia has really gotten high.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?