Sledgehammer on pivot, using inertia, center of mass, finding speed

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
bocobuff
Messages
41
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A sledgehammer with a mass of 2.60kg is connected to a frictionless pivot at the tip of its handle. The distance from the pivot to the center of mass is rcm=0.610m, and the moment of inertia about the center of mass is Icm=0.04kg*m2. If the hammer is released from rest at an angle of Θ=53.0° such that H=0.487m, what is the speed of the center of mass when it passes through horizontal?
prob34_sledgehammer.gif


Homework Equations


Thin rod, about end I=1/3M*rcm=0.529 kg*m2
I=Icm+Md2
Then some torque equations I don't know which to use, if any
τ=r*F*sinϕ
τ=m*r2*α
τgrav=-M*g*rcm
and α=τnet/I
And eventually I'll have to use either
vtan=ω*r or v=√arad*r
360°=2π radians

The Attempt at a Solution


I think Fgrav runs along H. ϕ=143° so Ftan=Fgrav*sin(-143°) where Fgrav=m*g.
I can also get I=Icm+M*rcm2 but then I get lost and don't know where to go with all the info. If I get α, I don't know how I would use rotational kinematics since there is no time given. Any clues to get going would help. Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How about conservation of energy here? That way you do not have to deal with any forces.

PE1+KE1=PE2+KE2

Also, why did you calculate the mass moment of inertia if it was given to you in the problem statement?
 
Saladsamurai said:
How about conservation of energy here? That way you do not have to deal with any forces.

PE1+KE1=PE2+KE2

Also, why did you calculate the mass moment of inertia if it was given to you in the problem statement?

That's good advice
 
You know that the initial velocity is=0 so KE1 is 0. It has only PE1.

At the horizontal, PE2=0, so you can find the velocity.
(If you do not understand why PE2=0, please ask and I will explain)