Sliding bar constraint equations

In summary: It's nice that we can calculate the kinetic energy with difficult lagrangian equations and differential equations, but isn't it easier to use conservation of energy?That is:E = T + V = constant ==> mgl/2 = T + mgy ==> T = mg(l/2 - y) = (1/2) mgl (1 - sin θ)If it must be solved with Lagrangian and constrains, let it be.
v0id19

Homework Statement

A uniform rod of length l rests on a horizontal floor and leans against a vertical wall, making an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with the floor. It is initially held at rest. At t = 0, the rod is released and falls, sliding on the floor and the wall with no friction. The only forces acting on the rod are gravity and the forces of constraint.
1. Write the kinetic energy of the rod using the Cartesian coordinates of its center of mass and the angle [tex]\theta[/tex]. Note that this calculation will require an integral.
2. Write the Lagrangian and the equations of constraint, again using [tex]\theta[/tex] and the Cartesian coordinates of the center of mass of the rod as your generalized coordinates.

Homework Equations

[tex]L = T - U[/tex]
[tex]\lambda \frac{dg}{dq_i}=\frac{dL}{dq_i} - \frac{d}{dt} \frac{dL}{dq^{.}_i}[/tex]
Where g is the constraint equation and qi is the generalized coordinate.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]L = 1/2 m [x^{.}^2 + y^{.}^2 - 1/12 l^2 \theta ^{.}^2] - mgy[/tex]
Where (x,y) is defined as the center of mass of the rod and m is the mass of the rod.
[tex]g_1 (y, \theta ) = l/2 sin( \theta ),
g_2 (x, \theta ) = l cos( \theta ) - 2x = 0 [/tex]

If I do this, I substituted in g1 for y to have the equation just in terms of x and [tex]\theta[/tex]. This gives me a really ugly differential equation, so I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I eventually have to solve the equations to find when the end of the bar leaves the wall, which I would do by setting [tex] \lambda [/tex] equal to 1, but I haven't gotten that far yet because of the nastiness of the differential equations...
Any help (especially with getting the constraint equations) would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You expressed the coordinates of the CM with the angle θ:
x=L/2 cosθ, y=L/2 sinθ.
Determine the components of the velocity, dx/dt and dy/dt in terms of dθ/dt (the angular velocity of rotation around the CM, shown in the picture, is d(π-θ)/dt=-dθ/dt. Substitute into the Lagrangian: it will be the function of the single variable θ. Show what you got.

ehild

Attachments

• rodatwall.JPG
    rodatwall.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
ehild said:
x=L/2 cosθ, y=L/2 sinθ.
Determine the components of the velocity, dx/dt and dy/dt in terms of dθ/dt (the angular velocity of rotation around the CM, shown in the picture, is d(π-θ)/dt=-dθ/dt. Substitute into the Lagrangian: it will be the function of the single variable θ. Show what you got.

ehild

Hey ehild,
You are in the same question once again.

Hey v0id19,
I have just finished on a thread very much similar to yours. Check that out for some help.

The previous thread is a bit messy. Let's start again, with a blank page.

ehild

ehild said:
x=L/2 cosθ, y=L/2 sinθ.

ehild

Thanks, this is what I wanted to do, but the fact that the question specifies cartesian coordinates is what's confusing me. I agree that it makes much more sense to do it this way.
I'll check the other thread and see if it helps.

v0id19 said:
Thanks, this is what I wanted to do, but the fact that the question specifies cartesian coordinates is what's confusing me. I agree that it makes much more sense to do it this way.
I'll check the other thread and see if it helps.

It's nice that we can calculate the kinetic energy with difficult lagrangian equations and differential equations, but isn't it easier to use conservation of energy?

That is:
E = T + V = constant ==> mgl/2 = T + mgy ==> T = mg(l/2 - y) = (1/2) mgl (1 - sin θ)

If it must be solved with Lagrangian and constrains, let it be.
In your Lagrangian function, the rotational kinetic energy has to be positive. (It is 1/2 I (-dθ/dt)2=1/2 I (dθ/dt)2)

The constrains are (I think you meant them in this way)

f1: y-L/2 sinθ = 0
f2: 2x-Lcosθ = 0

You get three Euler's differential equations: for y, for x and for θ, which contain the partial derivatives of both constrains, and have two λ-s, λ1 for f1, λ2 for f2.
Loosing contact with the wall means that λ2=0.

The other thread uses the conservation of energy.

ehild

1. What are sliding bar constraint equations?

Sliding bar constraint equations are mathematical equations used to model the motion of a bar or rod that is constrained to slide along a surface or through a slot. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion and forces of systems involving sliding bars.

2. How are sliding bar constraint equations derived?

Sliding bar constraint equations are typically derived using principles of mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the equations of static equilibrium. The specific derivation process may vary depending on the system being analyzed, but it generally involves setting up and solving a system of equations to determine the motion and forces of the sliding bar.

3. What types of systems can be analyzed using sliding bar constraint equations?

Sliding bar constraint equations can be used to analyze a wide range of systems, including mechanical systems such as pulleys, levers, and linkages, as well as electrical and hydraulic systems that involve sliding components. They are particularly useful for understanding the motion and forces in systems with sliding bars that are subject to external forces or constraints.

4. Are there any limitations to using sliding bar constraint equations?

Like any mathematical model, sliding bar constraint equations have some inherent limitations. They may not accurately represent complex systems with multiple sliding bars or systems with non-linear motion. Additionally, they may not account for factors such as friction, which can affect the actual behavior of the system being analyzed.

5. How can sliding bar constraint equations be applied in real-world scenarios?

Sliding bar constraint equations have numerous practical applications, such as in the design and analysis of mechanical systems, robotics, and transportation systems. They can also be used to understand the movement and forces involved in sports or other physical activities. In general, they are a valuable tool for predicting and optimizing the behavior of systems involving sliding bars.