1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sliding on the surface of a rough sphere (ploting theta in excel)

1. Feb 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have determined the solution to my problem however now the problem asks me to plot theta as the block flies off the sphere when Mu k ranges from 0.0 to 0.5 in increments of 0.05 I don't know a great deal about working with Microsoft Excel. Well I do just not enough to know how to plot theta from this equation. The information is as follows.

r = 1.5m

[tex] V_0 = 3m/s [/tex]

[tex] \mu [/tex] = 0.0 thru 0.5 in increments of 0.05

[tex] \theta = ? [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]
    V^2 = \frac{(2 - 4 \mu^2) (e^{2\mu\theta} - cos(\theta)) - 6 \mu sin(\theta)} {(1 + 4\mu^2)}+ V_0^2 e^{2\mu\theta}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    V = rgcos(\theta)
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

As for the attempt at the solution as I said I've already established the solution now I only need to plug into excel in order to solve for theta. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2009 #2
    You need to state the entire problem. I don't think anyone understands what you're trying to do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook