Sliding on the surface of a rough sphere (ploting theta in excel)

In summary, the problem involves finding the value of theta as a block flies off a sphere, with a given radius and initial velocity, and varying coefficients of friction. The relevant equations are provided and the solution has already been determined, but the task now is to plot theta using Microsoft Excel. The speaker admits to having limited knowledge of Excel and asks for assistance in completing this task.
chart2006

Homework Statement

I have determined the solution to my problem however now the problem asks me to plot theta as the block flies off the sphere when Mu k ranges from 0.0 to 0.5 in increments of 0.05 I don't know a great deal about working with Microsoft Excel. Well I do just not enough to know how to plot theta from this equation. The information is as follows.

r = 1.5m

[tex] V_0 = 3m/s [/tex]

[tex] \mu [/tex] = 0.0 thru 0.5 in increments of 0.05

[tex] \theta = ? [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
V^2 = \frac{(2 - 4 \mu^2) (e^{2\mu\theta} - cos(\theta)) - 6 \mu sin(\theta)} {(1 + 4\mu^2)}+ V_0^2 e^{2\mu\theta}
[/tex]

[tex]
V = rgcos(\theta)
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

As for the attempt at the solution as I said I've already established the solution now I only need to plug into excel in order to solve for theta. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to state the entire problem. I don't think anyone understands what you're trying to do.

1. What is the purpose of plotting theta in excel when sliding on the surface of a rough sphere?

The purpose of plotting theta in excel is to visualize and analyze the relationship between the angle of the sphere's surface and the friction force acting on an object sliding on it. This can help us understand the behavior of the object and make predictions about its motion.

2. How do you measure the angle of the sphere's surface when sliding on it?

The angle of the sphere's surface can be measured using a protractor or by using a digital inclinometer. The angle is typically measured in degrees.

3. What factors affect the friction force when sliding on a rough sphere?

The friction force when sliding on a rough sphere is affected by the roughness of the surface, the weight and material of the object sliding, and the angle of the sphere's surface. Other factors such as temperature and the presence of lubricants can also influence the friction force.

4. How can plotting theta in excel help in understanding the motion of an object sliding on a rough sphere?

By plotting theta in excel, we can see how the friction force changes as the angle of the sphere's surface changes. This can help us understand how the object's motion is affected by the surface's roughness and angle, and can also be used to make predictions about the object's trajectory and speed.

5. Can the data from plotting theta in excel be used to improve the design of objects that slide on rough spheres?

Yes, the data from plotting theta in excel can be used to improve the design of objects that slide on rough spheres. By analyzing the relationship between the angle of the surface and the friction force, engineers can make adjustments to the design of the object or the surface to minimize friction and improve performance.