Sliding/toppling of a block on a ramp

• Thread starter melpomenne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block Ramp
In summary, the conversation is about a uniformly loaded crate on an inclined plane and finding the least force required for it to slide or topple. The coefficients of friction and the reaction forces are calculated and a moment balance is done to find the minimum tipping force. The final answer is determined to be 726 N.
melpomenne
1. A uniformly loaded crate of weight 1000N is held at rest on an inclined place. A gradually increasing force P is applied horizontally as shown. If coefficient of friction, u, = 0.2, determine whether the crate first slides or topples and the least force required
34fiedg.jpg

I am unable to find the least force required. please help me solve this - the answer is 726 N
3. Reaction R = 1000 cos 30 + P sin 30
F = uR
P cos 30 - F -mg sin 30 = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a mu: µ :wink:)
melpomenne said:
3. Reaction R = 1000 cos 30 + P sin 30
F = uR
P cos 30 - F -mg sin 30 = 0

Yes, that looks ok for the sliding equation …

now you need a toppling equation …

Hint: it will start to topple when the reaction force is at the corner, so take moments :smile:

Hiya! Thanks for replying..

According to the way I've worked it out... P comes out to be 697 N.. while the book's answer is 726 N.. this is stressing me out.. I can't figure out where's the mistake..

For the toppling bit, i guess i'll have to do a moment balance about the corner.. and if P < P for the sliding bit, then the block topples.. am i right?

melpomenne said:
For the toppling bit, i guess i'll have to do a moment balance about the corner.. and if P < P for the sliding bit, then the block topples.. am i right?

Yes. :smile:

(but you can do a moment balance about any point … it makes no difference … just choose the point which you think will involve the least amount of arithmetic :wink:)
According to the way I've worked it out... P comes out to be 697 N.. while the book's answer is 726 N.. this is stressing me out.. I can't figure out where's the mistake..

Show us your full calculations, and then we can see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

I found P to be 697 N.. which does not coincide with that of the book.. its stressing me out :s

Alright will do that...

∑V = 0
R = 1000 cos 30 + P sin 30
= 866 + 0.5 P

F = µR
= 0.2 ( 866 + 0.5P)
= 173.2 + 0.1P

∑H = 0
P cos 30 = F + 1000 sin 30
= 173.2 + 0.1P + 500

P = 673.1/(0.1 + cos 30)
= 697N

Last edited:
I found P to be 697 N.. which does not coincide with that of the book.. its stressing me out :s

melpomenne said:
∑H = 0
P cos 30 = F + 1000 sin 30
= 173.2 + 0.1P + 500

P = 673.1/(0.1 + cos 30)

Nope … (-0.1 + cos 30) :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Nope … (-0.1 + cos 30) :wink:

Thanks loads! You saved my day ;) OOps now P is coming to 878 N :s

melpomenne said:
Thanks loads! You saved my day ;) OOps now P is coming to 878 N :s

Don't panic!

it's probably the other P, then :smile:

Ah i give up.. Thanks for your kind help sir :)

melpomenne said:
Ah i give up.. Thanks for your kind help sir :)

But you haven't done the moment equation yet …

that'll probably give you a P that's less than 697N :smile:

Attempting a moment balance about far right corner :p

(P cos 30 x 1.6) = (1000 cos 30 x 0.7) + ( P sin 30 x 0.7) + ( 1000 sin 30 x 0.8)
P = 971 N .. doesn't sound right

I get P = 753 for the minimum tipping force. I don't think the answer in your book is right.
Let x=1.4, y=1.6, w=1000N. Then the torque = (W/2) (x sin 30 + y cos 30) - P y cos 30.
This gives P = (W/2) ( x/y tan 30 +1) = 753 for zero torque.

melpomenne said:
Attempting a moment balance about far right corner :p

(P cos 30 x 1.6) = (1000 cos 30 x 0.7) + ( P sin 30 x 0.7) + ( 1000 sin 30 x 0.8)
P = 971 N .. doesn't sound right

can't follow this :confused:

you need the perpendicular distance from the corner to the line of the external force to equal the perpendicular distance from the corner to the vertical line through the centre of mass (because both the friction force and the tipping-normal force have zero moment).

Try again. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
can't follow this :confused:

you need the perpendicular distance from the corner to the line of the external force to equal the perpendicular distance from the corner to the vertical line through the centre of mass (because both the friction force and the tipping-normal force have zero moment).

Try again. :smile:

(P cos 30 x 1.6) = (1000 cos 30 x 0.7) + (1000 sin 30 x 0.8)
P = 726 N! Wheee! At last!.. .. thanks a lot for the walk through! Ah I'm not really a lumiere when it comes to mechanics.. You're an Ace!

Last edited:

1. What causes a block to slide or topple on a ramp?

The sliding or toppling of a block on a ramp is caused by the force of gravity pulling the block downwards and the normal force of the ramp pushing the block upwards.

2. How does the angle of the ramp affect the sliding/toppling of the block?

The steeper the angle of the ramp, the greater the component of the force of gravity acting parallel to the ramp. This makes it more likely for the block to slide or topple down the ramp.

3. Why does the mass of the block matter in the sliding/toppling on a ramp?

The mass of the block affects the overall force of gravity acting on it. A heavier block will experience a greater force of gravity, making it more likely to slide or topple down the ramp.

4. Can the surface of the ramp affect the sliding/toppling of a block?

Yes, the surface of the ramp can affect the amount of friction between the block and the ramp. A rough surface will provide more friction, making it less likely for the block to slide or topple. A smooth surface will have less friction, making it more likely for the block to slide or topple.

5. How can we prevent a block from sliding/toppling on a ramp?

To prevent a block from sliding or toppling on a ramp, we can increase the normal force of the ramp by adding more weight or increasing the surface area of the ramp. We can also decrease the force of gravity by using a lighter block or decreasing the angle of the ramp.