1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slightly confused with Spacetime Diagrams

1. Jan 26, 2008 #1
    Hello,

So I am supposed to draw and find the displacement vector between to points in spacetime, coordinates being (3,2,0,0) and (-2,1,0,0). I somehow feel slightly stupid for asking this, but I was reading the textbook and looking through my lecture notes. What I basically did that draw a standard 2D coordinate system wit ct and x as axis, add the two points draw the vector from the (-2,1,0,0) to (3,2,0,0) and find the distance using the line element formula in Minikowiski space:

[tex] \Delta S^2 = -(\Delta ct)^2 + \Delta x^2 + \Delta y^2 + \Delta z^2 [/tex]

Does that sound about right? I might be reading too much into this as the -2 for the ct component is throwing me off.

Cheers,

Biest

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2008 #2

pam

The sign of a componoent doesn't change anything.

4. Jan 27, 2008 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you worried about having negative time? t is just a coordinate, so having a negative value for t is no more problematic than having a negative value for the x coordinate, i.e., negative x doesn't mean negative space.

If today is chosen as the origin for the t coordinate than tomorrow has t = +1 day and yesterday has t = -1 day = -24 hours.

5. Jan 27, 2008 #4
    Thanks, I was just confused cause one half of the textbooks just show positive t and x and the other half show a full coordinate axis.

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?