Slipping 4WD Mobile Vehicle Wheels Without Oil or Water

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
uaefame
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hello Everyone,

I have a 4WD mobile vehicle, I am trying to get the wheel to slip in the floor.

I don't want to use oil or any water product (for my electronic safety and to keep the floor less messy)

Any idea how to make the wheel slip on the floor?

I was thinking about using snowboard waxing but not sure if that is a good idea.

Any idea is welcome here
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Is there a language problem here ?
The floor ? The internal floor of the vehicle, the roadway or the ground ?
Which wheel ? The spare wheel, one or all road wheels ?
Is the wheel lying flat or on the tread ? It only takes one or two slim rollers to slide a wheel.
 
For clarification > 1- laboratory floor 2- If the floor is slippery, all wheel should have a hard time gripping (Any wheel)
3- http://www.robotshop.com/en/dfrobot-4wd-arduino-mobile-platform.html (This mobile vehicle look similar)

My question again, how to make the laboratory floor slippery for a mobile vehicle robot?
I am not trying to use oil or soap or any liquid, trying to keep the laboratory floor clean

Any idea ?
 
uaefame said:
Any idea ?
What coefficient of friction do you require?
 
Or for a more quick and dirty solution, put tape around the current wheels. Different tapes will have different COF's.
 
Can you wrap the wheels in fabric? Is this floor a waxed or polished floor? You would get the same effect of socks on a polished floor.

The added benefit is that you can scuff up parts of the floor to increase friction.

Is a powder acceptable? Drafting powder is basically finely divided erasers. It makes pretty much any surface slide against any other. Corn meal is used for the same effect on shuffleboards.

BoB
 
I tried powder altering the floor seem to give minimum slippage barely noticeable,

I need to use rubber wheel,

So my option is to change the floor,

I tried the never wet solution but still no luck

any material that has low coefficient of friction with rubber would be great?
 
uaefame said:
any material that has low coefficient of friction with rubber would be great?
If you must use rubber wheels then water based lubricants are really the only choice. Anything else will probably chemically damage the rubber and cause it to swell.

Do you want the wheels to spin under power, or do you want them to slide sideways?
Why can you not simply disconnect the drive shafts to the wheels?
Why must you use rubber wheels and then eliminate the good grip they are designed to provide?

Maybe you should explain what you are trying to do, rather than applying the same arbitrary constraints that are preventing you resolving the problem yourself.