Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slobodan Milošević dies in prison cell

1. Mar 12, 2006 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Former_Yugoslavian_president_Slobodan_Milosevic_found_dead_in_his_cell
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060312/ap_on_re_eu/milosevic

The war crimes trial of Milošević was drawing to the end when he was found dead. So the rest is academic. There are still fugitives like Ratko Mladić and Radovan Karadžić (Радован Караџић) to be brought to justice.

Whether or not justice has been serve is perhaps a matter of one's perspective. Clearly he had leading role in the mass homicides in the former Yugoslavia.

Here is his indictment by THE INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL TRIBUNAL FOR THE FORMER YUGOSLAVIA
    http://www.un.org/icty/indictment/english/mil-ii011122e.htm

And the controversy continues - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slobodan_Milošević#External_links

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2006 #2
    Too bad he did not suffer. The sad part is the Yugoslavian people still think he's a hero.

4. Mar 12, 2006 #3

Astronuc

Some, but certainly not all. He had supporters who still believe he is/was right, just like George Bush has supporters. :rolleyes:

5. Mar 12, 2006 #4
    You are terrible :rofl:

(I was too general in my statement, certainly not all agree w/him, but you know what I meant :wink:)

6. Mar 12, 2006 #5

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is, in any case, very little political cooperation from the Yugoslavian governments which makes finding Mladic and Karadzic very difficult.

7. Mar 12, 2006 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you serious?

8. Mar 12, 2006 #7
    Why should I have sympathy for a mass murder Hurkyl?

9. Mar 12, 2006 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hmm..not trying to second-guess Hurkyl, but I for one distinguish between not having sympathy for a guy and giving in to sadistic actions towards him.

10. Mar 12, 2006 #9
    Well, some people do deserve to suffer for what they have done. Trying to wipe out a race is one of those times. This was done with planning and premeditation, not in the heat of passion.

11. Mar 12, 2006 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Many who lives deserve to die, and many who dies deserve to live.
    Can you give it to them?
    Be not so hasty in dealing out death in judgment.

12. Mar 12, 2006 #11
    What are you talking about? We are not talking about "Many who lives deserve to die, and many who dies deserve to live," are we?

We are talking about one man, who orchestrated the mass murder of a people. That's not being hasty. That's called being swift and severe. At the very least he should have been put to death.

13. Mar 12, 2006 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11791534/

14. Mar 12, 2006 #13
    Suffering does not have to be physical arildno. And yes, he does deserve it.

15. Mar 12, 2006 #14
    Why? Because I don't want him to sit around in a jail cell drinking fine wine for the rest of his days after what he did? Where is your moral outrage for what he did?

16. Mar 12, 2006 #15
    Answer the question.

17. Mar 12, 2006 #16
    Of cource he surfferd.He was on court for war crimes that has to the most slowest and painful death a person can get.Just look sadams trial.

18. Mar 12, 2006 #17
    Sitting in a court room with a suit and tie while his supporters chanted for his freedom, wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooof what hardships he went through. (Excuse me while I bust out my violin and start playing for the man)

19. Mar 12, 2006 #18

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I am suspicious of that heart attack. Ricin can cause heart attacks and the former USSR and their Bulgarian allies were noted for using it as an assassination tool. The present Russian government was a supporter of Serbia during the period when the accused genocide was taking place and we don't know how deeply they may have been complicit in it, but HE did, and it might have been in somebody's interest to make sure that in the last desperation he didn't reveal it.

I know this is sheer conspiracy theory, but I just can't help wondering.

20. Mar 12, 2006 #19

russ_watters

Supposedly, he had some ongoing medical problems, but eh - if someone helped him out the door, I won't be shedding a tear either way. But yeah, it would have been better if he had been convicted first.

21. Mar 12, 2006 #20
    I'm sure he was just biding his time in jail, waiting for that opportune moment to reveal the REAL culprits. Come on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?