Sloping roof without support at centre

• Thread starter sachintoi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Support
In summary: A sloping roof without cross members will push out on the walls and cause structural problems. There are many books and websites that illustrate various types of roof slabs and the beam and column arrangement for them.
sachintoi
IS it possible to design a sloping roof (as shown in fig)?
if yes please help in placing of beams.]
thanks

Attachments

• view.jpg
    view.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 2,267
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, but the weight of the sloping roof will cause a tendency to spread outwards, pushing out on the walls.

Two ways to counteract this outward thrust are to make the joints at the roof and walls truly rigid.
This is called a portal frame.

Another way is to place a tie across the two sloping sections of roof.

Studiot said:
Yes, but the weight of the sloping roof will cause a tendency to spread outwards, pushing out on the walls.

Two ways to counteract this outward thrust are to make the joints at the roof and walls truly rigid.
This is called a portal frame.

PLEASE elaborate

direct example with respect to fig will be great

Studiot said:
Y

WILL the tie be sloping or horizontal (column to column)

Portal frames are the type you see in modern steel framed buildings, where you can see the steelskeleton from the inside.

Ties normally go across horizontally.
They are usually just above the top of the wall, where they are most efficient. Sometimes they can be further up, to about halfway up the rise of the roof. They are often combined with the ceiling support.

will the ties go in both direction or just along the walls where slab rest?

The ties go across from wall to wall, not along the walls.

How else could they tie the walls, or rafters together?

No, I'm sorry I'm not at home, or even in my home country so I cannot draw it for you.

The ties must connect opposite walls near the top or opposite rafters near the bottom. Ties can be much thinner than beams.

The upper left hand drawing is fine. and would provide support for a conventional ceiling.

The upper right hand position is OK, but a V shaped tie is not. A light horizontal member at this location would also work.

Not sure which country you're in, but you might want to check building regulations before you attempt this on your own. I know there's something on it in the UK.

sorry but v shape is not a tie but just a arrow pointing towards the sloping ties under the roof (forgot to make it red)
sorry for being careless

so both fig are correct
i think right one will suit my needs
PLEASE CONFIRM

The horizontal element you have labelled tie in the top left hand drawing is a fine tie.

It is in the plane of the section drawing and pulls the tops to the two wall towards each other.

There is no tie shown in the top right hand drawing, so this is not OK. I repeat elements at right angles to the drawing cannot be ties. You should redraw the sloping section of the roof so it looks like the letter A.

Last edited:
Studiot said:
It is in the plane of the section drawing and pulls the tops to the two wall towards each other.

In my case it need to pull beams right.

so ties should be horizontal and cannot be sloping.and what about their spacing and dimensions in general.something like 23 cm* 30cm in cross section with a spacing of 3 to metres (column to column)

can i use make it a ribbed slab(sloping beams under slab) so there is no need for ties?

also can you suggest ebooks,books, and other web sources that illustrate various types of RCC roof slabs( like hip roof, pitched roof) and the beam & column arrangment for them.

Hope i am not troubling you too much
thanks

Last edited:
I'm slightly concerned about the fact you don't seem to understand the basics of roof design and yet you're trying to do it. Potentially catastrophic to your home at best.

You need cross members. If you look at roof design on any new houses you will see the characteristic A shape. It's there for a reason.

1. What is a sloping roof without support at the centre?

A sloping roof without support at the centre is a type of roof design where the roof slopes down from the highest point on either side towards the outer walls, without any support or column in the middle. This design creates an open and spacious interior living space.

2. What are the advantages of a sloping roof without support at the centre?

One of the main advantages of this type of roof design is that it allows for maximum natural light and ventilation to enter the space. It also creates a unique and modern aesthetic, and can save on construction costs as it requires fewer materials and labor compared to traditional roofs with central support.

3. Are there any disadvantages to a sloping roof without support at the centre?

The main disadvantage of this type of roof design is that it may not be suitable for areas with heavy snowfall or strong winds, as the lack of support in the middle can make it less sturdy and prone to damage. It may also limit the use of attic or storage space in the building.

4. How is a sloping roof without support at the centre constructed?

The construction of this type of roof involves using a series of trusses or rafters that span from one outer wall to the other, creating the sloped shape. These trusses or rafters are typically made of wood, steel, or other structural materials and are connected to the outer walls and roof structure for support.

5. Can a sloping roof without support at the centre be modified or renovated?

Yes, this type of roof design can be modified or renovated, but it may require additional structural support to maintain its stability. Any modifications or renovations should be done by a professional to ensure the safety and integrity of the roof. It is important to also consider local building codes and regulations before making any changes to the roof design.