9m rhs steel connecting 2 sides of a roof patio

• Thread starter Mark Rangi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Steel
In summary, the conversation discusses the removal of two center pylons in a 9m patio and the use of 150mmx50mmx6mm rhs to span the length between the two end pylons. The weight of the roof and patio is estimated to be around 1-2 tonnes and the support weight of the rhs is questioned. The speaker also mentions seeking professional help due to liability concerns.
Mark Rangi
Hey guys. So I'm kinda new to all this and just wondering if anyone might have a idea or solution.
So the question is.
I have patio spaning 9mtrs long with 2 centre pylons as supports between the 9Mtrs
I'm wanting to remove these pylons. The pylons are only supporting 500mm from the edge of the roof under the patio. The main wall of the house is around 2mtrs from the edge of the roof. As the main wall of the house I assume will be supporting the main weight of the roof and patio I was going to use 150mmx50mmx6mm rhs to span the whole length between the 2 end pylons so I can remove the other 2 middle ones. I'm wondering if there will be any sag or what would be the support weight the rhs can support in the middle of the beam "4.5mtrs".
I will be supporting it all to the edge roof rafters and welding it into the 2 outside pylons.
From a construction background I'm guessing that all up weight could be around 1-2 tonne spread out between the 9 mtrs as its only the edge of the house roof spanning out over the patio.
Any thought or questions or knowledge would be helpful.
Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Please have an architect or professional engineer help you with these plans. There is too much liability involved for us to help you vie an Internet forum. Thread is closed.

1. What is the purpose of using 9m rhs steel to connect two sides of a roof patio?

The 9m rhs steel is used as a structural support to connect the two sides of the roof patio. This helps to distribute the weight of the roof evenly and provide stability to the structure.

2. How does 9m rhs steel compare to other materials for connecting roof patio sides?

9m rhs steel is a popular choice for connecting roof patio sides because it is strong, durable, and relatively lightweight. It is also resistant to corrosion, making it a long-lasting option for outdoor use.

3. Is 9m rhs steel suitable for all types of roof patio designs?

Yes, 9m rhs steel can be used for a variety of roof patio designs as it can be easily cut and welded to fit the specific needs of the structure. It is also versatile enough to support different types of roofing materials.

4. How do I determine the appropriate size of 9m rhs steel for my roof patio?

The size of 9m rhs steel needed for a roof patio will depend on factors such as the weight of the roof, the distance between the two sides, and the type of roofing material. It is best to consult with a structural engineer for proper sizing.

5. Can 9m rhs steel be used for other outdoor structures besides roof patios?

Yes, 9m rhs steel can be used for other outdoor structures such as pergolas, carports, and decks. Its strength and durability make it a suitable choice for various types of constructions.