Slow Light: Spatially Structured Photons Travel Slower Than Speed of Light

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Lord Crc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Light Paper
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Lord Crc
Messages
341
Reaction score
47
Hi,

this experiment has been doing it's rounds in the media this week. I've read the popular explanations and the preprint but as a layman I'm not sure I quite get what they've done. Especially I don't get how the spatial distribution of a photon affects its propagation speed. Or in what sense a photon has a spatial distribution.
Spatially structured photons that travel in free space slower than the speed of light​

Abstract:
That the speed of light in free space is constant is a cornerstone of modern physics. However, light beams have finite transverse size, which leads to a modification of their wavevectors resulting in a change to their phase and group velocities. We study the group velocity of single photons by measuring a change in their arrival time that results from changing the beam’s transverse spatial structure. Using time-correlated photon pairs we show a reduction of the group velocity of photons in both a Bessel beam and photons in a focused Gaussian beam. In both cases, the delay is several micrometers over a propagation distance of the order of 1 m. Our work highlights that, even in free space, the invariance of the speed of light only applies to plane waves.​

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/early/2015/01/21/science.aaa3035 (not free)

Preprint can be found here: http://arxiv.org/abs/1411.3987
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Doh, I searched for both the arXiv code and parts of the paper title and didn't find it :(