Speed of Light: Does a Photon Move Faster or Slower?

• Thread starter captain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the speed of light and its relationship to classical and quantum descriptions. Feynman's path integral formulation suggests that light can travel at all possible speeds, including faster or slower than the speed of light, but these variations cancel out to leave only the direct route at the speed of light. This theory is equivalent to ordinary quantum physics. It is also mentioned that it is incorrect to think of light as traveling along specific paths, as it is a quantum mechanical particle.
captain
I have seen in a description of QED that it predicts that light can move faster or slower than the speed of light, but on average it moves at the speed of light. I wanted to know if htis was true and if it is, is the reason behind it due to the fact that the phase velocity (since we are dealing with only a photon) of light can be slower or faster than c, but the group velocity (that of a wave packet, or a group of photons) has to be c. If my description is correct then it seems that classical electrodynamics is explaining how a photon can more faster or slower than the speed of light. Is there any connection between how this classical description fits a quantum description. (This is however assuming that all I have said is correct so far. There could be errors.) Thanks in advance to whoever answers any of these questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you can't argue with Feynman, he's been elevated to Godlike status.

he invented a method of integrating all possible paths called "sum over histories"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_integral_formulation

he says that the light travels all possible paths at all possible speeds (and impossible speeds) so that light not only travels from your light bulb to your eye in a straight line, but also goes via the walls and ceiling at -C and +C.
All of which cancel each other out so that you are only left with the direct route at C.

That's very convenient. But not very convincing.

So there is argument that the speed of light is an average? I know that light has different wavelengths and thus appears to us as color. Please give a summary of aforementioned article, it looks like it would take 3 years to read.

I'm wondering if in the Feynmann's path integral formulation, all paths have to start simultaneously; in case it's not, then there is no need to talk of faster than light propagations.

Last edited:
That's very convenient. But not very convincing.

Feynman's path integral method is equivalent to ordinary canonical quantum physics, so there is zero concern that the theory is outlandish or speculative.

So there is argument that the speed of light is an average? I know that light has different wavelengths and thus appears to us as color. Please give a summary of aforementioned article, it looks like it would take 3 years to read.

Calling it an average is overly simplistic, in fact it is always wrong to ascribe trajectories to photons: they are quantum mechanical particles, and so their position and momentum are not simultaneously observable. If you want to think of light as traveling along some path, then you are thinking of a classical ray of light.

I read it, (it is now 3 years later) and I understand basically what you mean. Light particles can travel all possible paths from point A, to point B. So trying to measure the distance that photon actually travels is impossible to measure. Because that light particle is bouncing EVERYWHERE.

Related to Speed of Light: Does a Photon Move Faster or Slower?

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light, denoted by the symbol c, is a fundamental constant in physics that represents the speed at which light travels in a vacuum. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. Does a photon move faster or slower than the speed of light?

A photon, which is a particle of light, always travels at the speed of light in a vacuum. This means that it cannot move any faster or slower than c.

3. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further.

4. How is the speed of light measured?

The speed of light is measured using various techniques, including the use of lasers, interferometers, and timing the travel of light beams over known distances. The most precise measurement of the speed of light was done by the National Institute of Standards and Technology in 2015, which determined it to be 299,792,458.000000±0.000008 meters per second.

5. Can the speed of light change?

The speed of light is considered to be a constant in the theory of relativity and has been measured to be the same in all reference frames. However, some theories suggest that the speed of light may have been different in the early universe, and research is ongoing to understand the possibility of this change.