Slow precipitation of calcium carbonate.

In summary, the conversation is about a chemist's attempts to produce precipitated CaCO3 in the laboratory. They have found that mixing Na2CO3 and CaCl2 produces the desired product, but the reaction is too fast and results in small, powdery crystals. The chemist is now looking for alternative chemicals that will decompose slowly to produce bigger crystals. The suggestion of aging the precipitate is also given as a potential solution.
duke656
Hello Everyone,

I am working with CaCO3. I want to have the precipitated CaCO3 in the laboratory. The easy way is to mix Na2CO3 and CaCl2. It gives CaCO3 and NaCl but this reaction takes place in a flash. As the reaction rate is high the produced CaCO3 forms powder like substance (the syze of crystals are very small) and they do not bond well with each other.

I want to increase the size of the crystals. I think I need to reduce the rate of reaction to get the bigger crystals. I have tried mixing at the lower temperature but the reaction again takes place in a flash and the product is always in the form of powder.

Now I am thinking of some new chemicals that will decompose slowly to give either calcium ion of carbonate at a slow pace. Do you know any such chemicals?

Urea can also give carbonate ion slowly. Do you know how to dissociate urea?

Thank you all for your support.

Duke

Chemistry news on Phys.org
First of all, try if aging the precipitate doesn't help - keep the solution warm for several hours. Small crystals are thermodynamically less stable than the larger ones, so they should disappear and the large ones should grow.

Thank you Borek, I will try it.

What is slow precipitation of calcium carbonate?

Slow precipitation of calcium carbonate is a process in which calcium carbonate, a common mineral found in rocks and shells, is formed slowly over time through the reaction of calcium and carbonate ions in water.

What factors affect the rate of slow precipitation of calcium carbonate?

The rate of slow precipitation of calcium carbonate can be affected by factors such as temperature, pH, concentration of calcium and carbonate ions, and the presence of impurities or additives in the water.

What is the purpose of studying slow precipitation of calcium carbonate?

Studying slow precipitation of calcium carbonate can provide insight into the formation of natural minerals and help understand the role of calcium carbonate in various geological and biological processes.

How is slow precipitation of calcium carbonate different from rapid precipitation?

Slow precipitation of calcium carbonate occurs over an extended period of time, while rapid precipitation occurs quickly. Slow precipitation also typically produces smaller, more uniform particles compared to the larger and more irregular particles formed during rapid precipitation.

What are the potential applications of slow precipitation of calcium carbonate?

Slow precipitation of calcium carbonate has various applications in industries such as construction, agriculture, and water treatment. It is also used in the production of materials such as cement, paper, and plastics.