Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Small oscillations of constrained particle

1. Dec 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a particle of mass m constrained to move on the surface of a paraboloid whose equation (in cylindrical coordinates) is [tex]r^2=4az[/tex]. If the particle is subject to a gravitational force, show that the frequency of small oscillations about a cirrcular orbit with radius [tex]\rho=\sqrt{4az_0}[/tex] is

[tex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{2g}{a+z_0}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm aware that the [tex]\omega[/tex] must come from the equation:

[tex]\ddot{x}+\omega x=0[/tex]

This DiffEq comes from [tex]F=m\ddot{x}[/tex], so we need [tex]F=-\frac{2gm}{a+z_0}[/tex].

The only definition of g goes to [tex]\frac{MG}{R^2}[/tex], so we must be looking for a force [tex]F=-\frac{mMG}{R^2}*\frac{2}{a+z_0}[/tex]

My attempt is based on looking at the radial component of a gravitational force pulling out of the plane along [tex]\hat{s}[/tex], however, every time, I get:

[tex]\vec{F}=-\frac{mMG}{S^2}\hat{s}[/tex], where the radial component would be [tex]\vec{F}\bullet\hat{r}[/tex]

In a nutshell...my answer keeps turning up wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2

mukundpa

Homework Helper

The particle is rotating about z axis and in equilibrium at z = z0. First consider equilibrium of particle in the circular orbit and then think of its oscillation on the surface.

4. Dec 11, 2008 #3
    That's exactly what I'm doing, but I can't get the correct answer.

5. Jan 11, 2009 #4
    I'm gonna make a late bump on this thread because I still haven't solved this problem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook