1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small oscillations of constrained particle

1. Dec 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a particle of mass m constrained to move on the surface of a paraboloid whose equation (in cylindrical coordinates) is [tex]r^2=4az[/tex]. If the particle is subject to a gravitational force, show that the frequency of small oscillations about a cirrcular orbit with radius [tex]\rho=\sqrt{4az_0}[/tex] is

[tex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{2g}{a+z_0}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm aware that the [tex]\omega[/tex] must come from the equation:

[tex]\ddot{x}+\omega x=0[/tex]

This DiffEq comes from [tex]F=m\ddot{x}[/tex], so we need [tex]F=-\frac{2gm}{a+z_0}[/tex].

The only definition of g goes to [tex]\frac{MG}{R^2}[/tex], so we must be looking for a force [tex]F=-\frac{mMG}{R^2}*\frac{2}{a+z_0}[/tex]

My attempt is based on looking at the radial component of a gravitational force pulling out of the plane along [tex]\hat{s}[/tex], however, every time, I get:

[tex]\vec{F}=-\frac{mMG}{S^2}\hat{s}[/tex], where the radial component would be [tex]\vec{F}\bullet\hat{r}[/tex]

In a nutshell...my answer keeps turning up wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2

mukundpa

Homework Helper

The particle is rotating about z axis and in equilibrium at z = z0. First consider equilibrium of particle in the circular orbit and then think of its oscillation on the surface.

4. Dec 11, 2008 #3
    That's exactly what I'm doing, but I can't get the correct answer.

5. Jan 11, 2009 #4
    I'm gonna make a late bump on this thread because I still haven't solved this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?