How Can I Make a Small Electromagnet as Powerful as Possible?

In summary: What are the dimensions of your metal pipe? Is it steel? Is it stationary? Is it resting on a smooth, slippery surface? How much space is available for the electromagnet?I don't think it's possible to do what you want safely or economically. It's easy to build an electromagnet with a battery and some wire and an iron core, and you can pick up paperclips and small pieces of metal at very short distances (almost touching). But if you want to scale it up to high field strength, you will have to scale up the size as well. Small wires can't handle the current required without overheating, and small insulators can't handle much voltage before arcing.
Lunes
Hello, i need a small electro magnet with it's dimension not bigger than 8 millimetre (0,31 inch) in diameter with a length under 10 millimetre (0,39 inch).

I want it to be as powerful as possible, where do i find such magnets? And how should i make my own?

How powerful is it possible to make it?

Could i just use a big battery and waste much electricity to the small magnet, in order to make it really strong?

Physics news on Phys.org
HI
welcome to PF :smile:

Lunes said:
Hello, i need a small electro magnet with it's dimension not bigger than 8 millimetre (0,31 inch) in diameter with a length under 10 millimetre (0,39 inch).
I want it to be as powerful as possible, where do i find such magnets? And how should i make my own?
How powerful is it possible to make it?
Could i just use a big battery and waste much electricity to the small magnet, in order to make it really strong?

for electro magnets, small and powerful is pretty much a contradiction in terms

you can have small or you can have powerful but not both

so what is your application ... ie. what are you trying to achieve ?Dave

davenn said:
HI

davenn said:
HI

I try to make a force that will catch a metal pipe about 8cm (3 inch) away. I turn on the electro magnet, and the pipe will smash into it.

But it have to be small and pretty powerful... Is it possible to stream much electricity to a very small magnet, in order to make it as strong as a bigger with less electricity? Or is it any other solution possible for me?

Superconducting wire will carry much larger currents than normal copper wire but if it's tightly wound the size of the current will be limited by the magnetic field around the wire. The best approach would be to magnetise a small puck of superconducting material like YBCO. Fields as high as 17 tesla have been achieved.

A small superconducting puck (diameter approximately 25 mm) with a field of 17 tesla would not be easy to make. The puck has to be put inside a large electromagnet capable of generating this field and then cooled to a temperature of about 29 K or less to freeze the field lines in. The puck cannot be made of just YBCO because the field lines would blow the puck apart. The YBCO would have to be strengthened somehow by being impregnated with some type of resin. You would have to have a well resourced laboratory available to you!

Last edited:
Lunes said:
I try to make a force that will catch a metal pipe about 8cm (3 inch) away. I turn on the electro magnet, and the pipe will smash into it.

But it have to be small and pretty powerful... Is it possible to stream much electricity to a very small magnet, in order to make it as strong as a bigger with less electricity? Or is it any other solution possible for me?
If you put in more electricity into the electromagnet you most likely will burn the coil inside of it

Lunes said:
I'm not sure about "smash", but one way to operate a coil is to give it excessive current but for only a brief duration, so that before the wire begins to glow red the magnet has already performed its task and can then be given plenty of time to cool down. The enemy of electromagnets is heat.

What are the dimensions of your metal pipe? Is it steel? Is it stationary? Is it resting on a smooth, slippery surface? How much space is available for the electromagnet?

I don't think it's possible to do what you want safely or economically. It's easy to build an electromagnet with a battery and some wire and an iron core, and you can pick up paperclips and small pieces of metal at very short distances (almost touching). But if you want to scale it up to high field strength, you will have to scale up the size as well. Small wires can't handle the current required without overheating, and small insulators can't handle much voltage before arcing.

1. What is a small powerful electro magnet?

A small powerful electro magnet is a device that uses electricity to create a strong magnetic field. It is usually made of a coil of wire wrapped around a core of ferromagnetic material such as iron, and can be turned on and off with an electric current.

2. How does a small powerful electro magnet work?

When an electric current flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. The ferromagnetic core amplifies this field, making it stronger. The strength of the magnetic field can be controlled by adjusting the amount of current flowing through the coil.

3. What are the applications of small powerful electro magnets?

Small powerful electro magnets have a wide range of applications, including in motors, generators, speakers, MRI machines, and magnetic levitation trains. They are also used in everyday items such as refrigerators, doorbells, and credit cards.

4. How are small powerful electro magnets different from regular magnets?

Regular magnets, also known as permanent magnets, have a fixed magnetic field and do not require an external power source. Small powerful electro magnets, on the other hand, can be turned on and off and have a varying strength depending on the amount of current flowing through them.

5. Can small powerful electro magnets be dangerous?

Small powerful electro magnets can be dangerous if not used properly. They can generate strong magnetic fields that can interfere with electronic devices, cause burns if touched, and even crush objects if the magnetic field is strong enough. It is important to handle them with caution and follow safety guidelines when working with them.