How Does Relativity Affect the Measured Distance Between Cities at High Speeds?

In summary: Toronto and Montreal is 450 km. So, from the man's reference frame, the distance is 450 km. In reality, the distance is 630 km, which is the proper length contracted to the man's frame of reference.
Abu

Homework Statement

A man is flying with a speed of 0.7c and at a height 1 km. During his flight, he measures the distance between Toronto and Montreal to be 450 km. What is the real distance between them.

I don't think the answers are based on real life, they are just examples of places.

Homework Equations

t = to / √1-(v/c)2

The Attempt at a Solution

So if they are flying at 0.7c, that means they are flying at
0.7 x 3x10^8 = 2.1 x 10^8 m/s
Which means that they would cover 450 km, or 450000 meters, in 0.002142 seconds (I don't think the height of 1 km matters in this question, but correct me if I am wrong)

What I'm struggling with is the formula. I'm not sure where to put the numbers. From what I know, as you go faster, time increases slower. Since the man measured 0.002142 seconds, this is the dilated time, right? Meaning that this value of 0.002142 should be larger for an observer on earth. So for that reason, I want to put this value of 0.002142 as the t variable, instead of the to variable.

I think what is confusing me is which version of t is the dilated time. I've seen other versions of this time dilation formula without the division sign between to and the 1-(v/c)2

Thank you for your patience and time. If anything I said was not clear, please don't hesitate to ask me and I'll clarify my question.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The distance between Montreal and Toronto is a length. Are you familiar with "length contraction?" if so, what is the equation for length contraction?

Chestermiller said:
The distance between Montreal and Toronto is a length. Are you familiar with "length contraction?" if so, what is the equation for length contraction?
The equation for length contraction is:
L = Lo √1-(v/c)2

I didn't know that this formula could be applied to distances between places. I was under the impression that it only referred to the object that is moving. I thought it meant that Lo is the length of an object that is at rest, and that L was it's length once it was moving near the speed of light.

Abu said:
The equation for length contraction is:
L = Lo √1-(v/c)2

I didn't know that this formula could be applied to distances between places. I was under the impression that it only referred to the object that is moving. I thought it meant that Lo is the length of an object that is at rest, and that L was it's length once it was moving near the speed of light.
If you are moving relative to the terrain below, it is the same as the terrain below moving relative to you (and you being stationary).

Chestermiller said:
If you are moving relative to the terrain below, it is the same as the terrain below moving relative to you (and you being stationary).
I think I understand now... I saw a video that stated Lo is referred to as a proper length. The individual measures proper length when they are at rest to the object that they are measuring.

So in this instance, I am stationary relative to the object I am measuring (In this case, the object is the distance between Toronto and Montreal). The man on the other hand, is not stationary relative to the object he is measuring (still the distance between Toronto and Montreal).

That means that the answer should look like this:
L = Lo √1-(v/c)2
450000 meters = Lo√1-(0.7c/c)2
Lo = 630126 meters, or 630 kilometers
Is this right? If so, how come my reasoning regarding the time dilation formula was wrong... or is it possible and I was just doing it incorrectly?

Thank you for your time

Chestermiller said:
No. This is not correct. Lo is 450 km, the distance in the rest frame of the object (which, in this case, is a line drawn on the surface of the Earth between Montreal and Toronto). As reckoned from the frame of reference of the man flying above the Earth at 0.7c, the distance is shorter.
Just to clarify... the question says that the man who is flying above Earth measures the distance between Toronto and Montreal to be 450 km. That is, from his reference frame the distance is 450 km, not shorter. Right?

Doesn't that mean that the real distance, which is the distance in the rest frame of the object, should be longer than 450 km?

Sorry if it seems like I am disregarding your responses, just processing the information...

Chestermiller said:
No. This is not correct. Lo is 450 km, the distance in the rest frame of the object (which, in this case, is a line drawn on the surface of the Earth between Montreal and Toronto). As reckoned from the frame of reference of the man flying above the Earth at 0.7c, the distance is shorter.
According to the question, 450 km is the distance between Montreal and Toronto as measured by the man flying between them.
Abu said:
Just to clarify... the question says that the man who is flying above Earth measures the distance between Toronto and Montreal to be 450 km. That is, from his reference frame the distance is 450 km.

Doesn't that mean that the real distance, which is the distance in the rest frame of the object, should be longer than 450 km?

Sorry if it seems like I am disregarding your responses, just processing the information...
Yes, you are correct, the proper distance between Toronto and Montreal as measured in the ground frame would be longer than that measured by the man. (However, I would resist calling it the "real" distance, as the distance measured by the man is just as "real", just made in different frame of reference.)

Likes David Lewis, Chestermiller and Abu
Sorry guys. I misread the question.

Janus said:
According to the question, 450 km is the distance between Montreal and Toronto as measured by the man flying between them.

Yes, you are correct, the proper distance between Toronto and Montreal as measured in the ground frame would be longer than that measured by the man. (However, I would resist calling it the "real" distance, as the distance measured by the man is just as "real", just made in different frame of reference.)
Ah okay, thank you two very much for your time. I greatly appreciate it.

After seeing your post I re-tried it using the time dilation formula, and so I did:
t = to / √1-(v/c)2
0.002142 = to / √1-(v/c)2
to = 0.00299
And then using the distance = speed x time formula
d = 2.1 x 108 x 0.00299
d = 630 km (roughly)

So I got the right answer doing that method as well. My only remaining question is what does t and to truly mean?

Chestermiller said:

It's no problem. I still really appreciate your time. Thank you.

Chestermiller said:
Been there, done that:smile:

Abu said:
...what does t and to truly mean?
1. More convenient to use length contraction than time dilation in this case.
2. You don't have to convert speed to m/s. Just set c equal to 1.
3. I wouldn't use so many significant figures. The precision of the given data doesn't support it.

t is the time that elapses on the airplane when observed from Earth.
t0 is the proper time -- how much time elapses in an observer's rest frame.
Note that t0 > t

Likes Abu
David Lewis said:
1. More convenient to use length contraction than time dilation in this case.
2. You don't have to convert speed to m/s. Just set c equal to 1.
3. I wouldn't use so many significant figures. The precision of the given data doesn't support it.

Note that t0 > t
Thank you!

I just realized that what I did in post #9 was incorrect...
David Lewis said:
Note that t0 > t
In the formula t = to / √1-(v/c)2
the √1-(v/c)2 section is always less than one. That means that t > to right?
I really want to make the time dilation formula work for this problem. I read that to is the proper time, and that the proper time in a question is the time of the observer who is present at both destinations (this might be incorrect or not make sense, I'm not entirely sure). Which means that the proper time is not necessarily always the person who is at rest?

So that means that to in this problem is the man who is flying at 0.7c because he is present at both Toronto and Montreal, whereas the observer on Earth is simply watching the man fly. Is this correct?

EDIT**
Or is it just easier to identify who's time is dilated? Since the man is moving, his time is dilated, which means that his time value must be smaller than the Earth observer's time value, because time is passing slower for the flying man. What I mean is for example:
The man measures 5 seconds whereas the observer measures 10

According to the clock of the guy on the plane, it takes 450/(0.7c)=to to travel from Montreal to Toronto. According to the clocks of the people on the ground, the interval between the guy's departure time at Montreal and his arrival time at Toronto is 630/(0.7c) = t.

Chestermiller said:
According to the clock of the guy on the plane, it takes 450/(0.7c)=to to travel from Montreal to Toronto. According to the clocks of the people on the ground, the interval between the guy's departure time at Montreal and his arrival time at Toronto is 630/(0.7c) = t.
Right. So that means that for the formula:
Capture.PNG

T is always the time measured by the stationary observer
TO is always the time measured by the moving object
And my reasoning is that TO must be smaller than T because TO's time is dilated. Time moves slower for the moving object, thus it's value for time must be smaller than that of the stationary object. Is this correct?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4.7 KB · Views: 709
Abu said:
View attachment 219197
And my reasoning is that TO must be smaller than T because TO's time is dilated. Time moves slower for the moving object, thus it's value for time must be smaller than that of the stationary object. Is this correct?
I dislike interpretations like this. I prefer to think of it as a single observer with his clock at rest in his frame of reference, and multiple observers with their synchronized clocks at rest in their frame of reference.

Abu said:
View attachment 219197
The thing to remember is that which observer is the "Stationary" observer depends on which frame you are working from. In this scenario, If you are measuring from the Ground frame, then the ground observer is stationary and the man is moving. But in the Man's frame, he is stationary and the ground is moving.

Thus in the ground frame 0.003 sec passes during the trip, and the mans clock runs slow and ticks off 0.00214 sec during the trip.
However, for the Man, while he does measure 0.00214 sec passing for himself, he measures ground clocks as being time dilated and measures them as ticking off 0.00153 sec.
So how does this jive with the ground frame measuring 0.003 sec? There is a third effect besides length contraction and Time dilation to take into account. This is the Relativity of Simultaneity.
To explain how this works, imagine we have clocks on the ground in both Toronto and Montreal, and, in the ground frame, they are synchronized to each other (if one clock reads 0 the other clock simultaneously reads 0 ). However, in the Man's frame of reference, due to the Relativity of Simultaneity, if the Clock in Toronto reads 0 as he flies over it, the clock in Montreal does not read zero at that moment, but actually reads .00147 sec. The Montreal clock than advances .00153 sec to read 0.003 sec when he flies over Montreal. Thus both the Ground frame and Man agree that he passed over Toronto when Toronoto's clock read 0, and arrived at Montreal when Montreal's clock read 0.003 sec.

I don't know if you've covered the Relativity of Simultaneity yet or not, but it is the key to understanding a lot of SR scenarios. (Quite frankly, I think that any course of study dealing with SR should start with the Relativity of simultaneity, as a good grasp of this concept will avoid a lot of head-scratching later.)

Likes Chestermiller
Abu said:
Or is it just easier to identify whose time is dilated? Since the man is moving, his time is dilated...
Who is moving and who is at rest are conveniences for the mind, not features of the universe.

1. What is the "Small Relativity Problem"?

The Small Relativity Problem is a thought experiment that demonstrates the principles of special relativity, specifically time dilation and length contraction. It involves two observers, one stationary and one moving at a high speed, measuring the time and distance of a moving object.

2. How does the Small Relativity Problem relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

The Small Relativity Problem is a simple example that illustrates the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which are fundamental concepts in Einstein's theory of special relativity. It helps to demonstrate how these effects occur in everyday scenarios and how they challenge our intuitive understanding of time and space.

3. What is the significance of the Small Relativity Problem in understanding the universe?

The Small Relativity Problem helps to demonstrate that the laws of physics, specifically the principles of special relativity, are the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion. This has profound implications for our understanding of the universe, as it shows that there is no absolute frame of reference and that everything is relative.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the Small Relativity Problem?

While the Small Relativity Problem is a thought experiment, its principles have been applied in many real-world situations. For example, GPS systems must account for time dilation in order to accurately calculate location, and particle accelerators use the principles of special relativity to reach high speeds and energies.

5. How does the Small Relativity Problem differ from the Twin Paradox?

The Small Relativity Problem and the Twin Paradox both illustrate the effects of special relativity, but they have different contexts. The Small Relativity Problem involves measuring the time and distance of a moving object, while the Twin Paradox involves the difference in aging between two twins, one of whom travels at high speeds. Both scenarios demonstrate the same principles, but in different ways.