1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small sphere rolling off the top of a large sphere

1. Aug 10, 2014 #1
    [>A heavy sphere of radius r = 1.00 meter is fixed with respect to the ground. A small uniform solid sphere is placed at the top of the larger sphere. After a slight disturbance, the smaller sphere begins to roll downward without slipping. How high h is the small sphere above the ground at the instant it loses contact with the large sphere

My atempt of solution:

I think, that at the moment when it loses contact, speed of the small sphere is higher than the one in $\Sigma F=mg\cos\theta=mv^2/r$. $\theta r$ is an arc traveled on the sphere. Also since it falls without slipping, $v=\omega r$, where $\omega$ is the angular velocity of the small sphere. The speed at a height h can be found from $$mg(2r)=1/2mv^2+mgh.$$

From foce equation I would get $$v=\sqrt{rg\cos\theta}$$
    And from energy conservation:
    $$h=\frac{4g-v^2}{2g}$$
    substituting the expretion for velocity
    $$h=\frac{4-r\cos\theta}{2}$$

I am not sure if this is correct or no. And I can't express $\theta$ in some other way. Could anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2014 #2

verty

Homework Helper

Have you forgotten about rotational kinetic energy? The small sphere rotates; this will consume energy. Your conservation of energy equation will be slightly different.

4. Aug 10, 2014 #3
    $$mg(2r)=1/2mv^2+1/2I\omega^2+mgh$$

$$h=\frac{2rg-7/10v^2}{g}$$

also $$h=1+cos\theta$

and now I would substitute v. Is that right?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  5. Aug 10, 2014 #4

verty

Homework Helper

Let ##m## and ##r## be the mass and radius of the small sphere. You need to express ##I## and ##\omega## in terms of ##m##, ##r## and ##v##.

Also, working with ##h## is more complicated; find ##\theta##, the angle at the center of the large sphere such that the spheres just begin to separate, then convert that to a height.

6. Aug 10, 2014 #5
    Ok, ty. I got it.

7. Aug 21, 2015 #6
    Hi
    I'm working in the same problem and tnx i got it

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted