Small sphere rolling off the top of a large sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a heavy sphere and a small sphere placed on top of it. After a slight disturbance, the small sphere begins to roll downward without slipping. The conversation includes a discussion of the speed and height of the small sphere at the instant it loses contact with the large sphere. The solution involves using equations for rotational kinetic energy and conservation of energy to find the height of the small sphere above the ground.
myko
[>A heavy sphere of radius r = 1.00 meter is fixed with respect to the ground. A small uniform solid sphere is placed at the top of the larger sphere. After a slight disturbance, the smaller sphere begins to roll downward without slipping. How high h is the small sphere above the ground at the instant it loses contact with the large sphere

My atempt of solution:

I think, that at the moment when it loses contact, speed of the small sphere is higher than the one in $\Sigma F=mg\cos\theta=mv^2/r$. $\theta r$ is an arc traveled on the sphere. Also since it falls without slipping, $v=\omega r$, where $\omega$ is the angular velocity of the small sphere. The speed at a height h can be found from $$mg(2r)=1/2mv^2+mgh.$$

From foce equation I would get $$v=\sqrt{rg\cos\theta}$$
And from energy conservation:
$$h=\frac{4g-v^2}{2g}$$
substituting the expretion for velocity
$$h=\frac{4-r\cos\theta}{2}$$

I am not sure if this is correct or no. And I can't express $\theta$ in some other way. Could anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you forgotten about rotational kinetic energy? The small sphere rotates; this will consume energy. Your conservation of energy equation will be slightly different.

$$mg(2r)=1/2mv^2+1/2I\omega^2+mgh$$$$h=\frac{2rg-7/10v^2}{g}$$

also $$h=1+cos\theta$

and now I would substitute v. Is that right?

Last edited:
myko said:
$$mg(2r)=1/2mv^2+1/2I\omega^2+mgh$$

$$h=\frac{2rg-7/10v^2}{g}$$

also $$h=1+cos\theta$

and now?

Let ##m## and ##r## be the mass and radius of the small sphere. You need to express ##I## and ##\omega## in terms of ##m##, ##r## and ##v##.

Also, working with ##h## is more complicated; find ##\theta##, the angle at the center of the large sphere such that the spheres just begin to separate, then convert that to a height.

Ok, ty. I got it.

Hi
I'm working in the same problem and tnx i got it

Last edited:

1) How does the size of the small sphere affect its motion when rolling off the top of the large sphere?

The size of the small sphere does not affect its motion when rolling off the top of the large sphere. The only factors that affect its motion are the initial velocity and the acceleration due to gravity.

2) Will the small sphere always roll off the top of the large sphere?

No, the small sphere will only roll off the top of the large sphere if its initial velocity is greater than the critical velocity needed to overcome the gravitational force pulling it towards the center of the large sphere.

3) What is the relationship between the radii of the two spheres and the critical velocity?

The critical velocity is directly proportional to the square root of the ratio of the radii of the two spheres. This means that as the ratio of the radii increases, the critical velocity also increases.

4) Does the surface material of the spheres affect the motion of the small sphere?

The surface material of the spheres does not affect the motion of the small sphere when rolling off the top of the large sphere. The only factors that affect its motion are the initial velocity and the acceleration due to gravity.

5) Will the motion of the small sphere be the same if it rolls off the side of the large sphere instead of the top?

No, the motion of the small sphere will be different if it rolls off the side of the large sphere. The critical velocity needed to overcome the gravitational force will be different, and the initial velocity and angle of launch will also affect the motion of the small sphere.