Smarter way to solve a continuity equation?

In summary, the density of a certain conserved substance in 3-D space is given by a function involving time and the position vector, while the flux vector is also a function of time and the position vector. To satisfy the conservation equation, it is necessary for the constants A and B to have a specific relationship. One possible approach to solving this problem is by using equations from the spherical coordinate system.
stufletcher

Homework Statement

The density in 3-D space of a certain kind of conserved substance is given by
[tex]\[\rho (x,y,z, t) = At^{-\frac{3}{2}}e^{-\frac{r^2}{4kt}}\][/tex]

where [tex]\mathbf r = x\mathbf i + y\mathbf j +z\mathbf k[/tex] and [tex] r = |\mathbf r|[/tex]. The corresponding flux vector is given by
[tex]\mathbf J(\mathbf r, t) = Bt^{-\frac{5}{2}}e^{-\frac{r^2}{4kt}}\mathbf r[/tex]
Here, A, B, k and positive constants.

Homework Equations

Show that [tex]$\rho, \mathbf J$[/tex] satisfy the conservation equation [tex]\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}[/tex][tex] + \nabla \cdot \mathbf J = 0[/tex] only if [tex]$ A = 2B$[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've looked at this, found the derivative for the density function, had a fair play with the div function, I'm just wondering if there is a smarter way to solve this then actually deriving the partial derivative and the div function and re-arranging? I have a feeling there is something inherent, for example like the divergence theorum, that i can use?

mind you in the time it took me to get the tex working i could have solved the thing, but I'm still curious

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One smarter way would be by using (first understanding the derivation, of course) Eqs. (49,50) from the entry "http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html" ".

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm. To be honest I don't know where to start. For example, how to i manage the position vector? Do i replace x, y, z with [tex] r cos \theta sin \phi[/tex] etc, then do the divergence? It starts to look very messy ... [tex] t^{-\frac{5}{2}}e^{-\frac{r}{4kt}} r cos \theta sin \phi[/tex] for the x component for example

stufletcher said:
Hmm. To be honest I don't know where to start. For example, how to i manage the position vector? Do i replace x, y, z with [tex] r cos \theta sin \phi[/tex] etc, then do the divergence? It starts to look very messy ... [tex] t^{-\frac{5}{2}}e^{-\frac{r}{4kt}} r cos \theta sin \phi[/tex] for the x component for example

[tex]r[/tex] in the exponential is not the position vector. It is its length - one of the coordinates of the spherical system. It will stay as such. [tex]\theta,\phi[/tex] simply do not appear in the formula - which simplifies the calculations.

What is a continuity equation?

A continuity equation is a mathematical representation of the conservation of mass, momentum, or energy in a continuous system. It states that the rate of change of a certain quantity within a system must be equal to the rate of inflow minus the rate of outflow.

Why is solving a continuity equation important?

Solving a continuity equation is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of a system. It allows us to determine how a certain quantity, such as mass, energy, or momentum, is changing over time and how it is affected by inflow and outflow.

What are some common methods for solving a continuity equation?

There are several methods for solving a continuity equation, including the method of characteristics, finite difference methods, and finite element methods. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of problems.

How can we ensure accuracy when solving a continuity equation?

To ensure accuracy when solving a continuity equation, we must carefully consider all the terms and variables involved, use appropriate numerical methods, and validate our results with experimental data or other analytical methods.

How can a smarter way to solve a continuity equation improve our understanding of systems?

A smarter way to solve a continuity equation, such as using advanced numerical methods or incorporating real-time data, can provide more accurate and detailed information about a system's behavior. This can lead to a better understanding of complex systems and help us make more informed decisions in various fields, such as fluid dynamics, meteorology, and economics.