Snells law of refraction measuring displacement through medium

In summary, The conversation is about a homework problem involving finding the displacement of a light ray through a medium using Snell's law. The question asks for the distance traveled in the x-direction in the new medium with a given width. The use of Pythagoras' theorem is mentioned, but the speaker is unsure of where the index n fits into the problem solving. The answer provided uses trigonometric functions, but the speaker is confused about the role of n in the calculations. The homework problem is labeled 3A and a link to the answer is provided. The answer is in Norwegian and involves using Snell's law and trigonometric functions.
georg gill

Homework Statement

I have tried to solve the displacement sideways of an lightray through a medium with snells law. The question is how much does the ray travel in x-direction in the new medium with width D. It says in the text that one should use pytagoras but I can't seem to understand where the index n fits in the problemsolving. Belove is the answer. What does n mean for the trigonometrics? I have a link to the answer below. It almost looks like n is the hypotenuse but I can't see why if it is. The studyproblem is 3A

Homework Equations

https://acrobat.com/app.html#d=8LzuwGT8D*9EfoI9imptxg

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I am sorry that the answer is in norwegian. It is the assignemnt oppgave 3. From the drawing they use snells law

n1sinx1=n2sinx2 og tan on the triangle with one angle at 90 degrees

What is Snell's Law of Refraction?

Snell's Law of Refraction is a principle in physics that describes how light behaves when traveling through different mediums. It states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the velocities of light in the two mediums.

How is Snell's Law used to measure displacement through a medium?

Snell's Law can be used to calculate the displacement of an object when light passes through a medium. By measuring the angles of incidence and refraction, and knowing the refractive indices of the mediums, the displacement of the object can be determined using the equation: displacement = (refractive index of final medium - refractive index of initial medium) * original distance.

What are some real-world applications of Snell's Law of Refraction?

Snell's Law has many practical applications, such as in the design of lenses and prisms for optics, the creation of optical fibers for telecommunication, and the study of oceanography and seismology through the analysis of light refraction in water and seismic waves in the Earth's crust.

Can Snell's Law be applied to other types of waves besides light?

Yes, Snell's Law can be applied to any type of wave that travels through different mediums, such as sound waves, water waves, and seismic waves. However, the equation may differ depending on the properties of the specific wave being studied.

What factors can affect the accuracy of measurements using Snell's Law?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of measurements using Snell's Law, including the surface roughness of the mediums, the temperature and pressure of the mediums, and the presence of impurities or foreign objects in the mediums. Additionally, human error in measuring angles and refractive indices can also impact the accuracy of calculations.