Snooker/billiard/Newton's balls

• Thread starter whoeli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balls
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the speed at which energy passes through multiple balls in a shot similar to a Newton's cradle. The response states that the speed is determined by the speed of sound in the balls and the stiffness factor, and provides a link to a webpage for more information.
whoeli
Hi guys,

I just joined so I could ask a question on something about which I've been curious for quite a while.

Imagine a shot in snooker whereby the white ball hits a red, and that red was already touching another red. The result of the shot is that that second red gets fired away like a ball on a Newton's cradle.

Now you can put more balls into the shot and, provided they're all stuck together, the ball at the end of the line will be fired away like the end ball in a Newton's cradle.

My question is quite an open one. Given a big enough billiard table and enough balls, I could, I assume, make a line of, say, 100 balls and get the same effect. 1000 balls, even? A million balls? The main part of my question I'm interested in is this: How fast does the energy pass through the balls?

Physics news on Phys.org
whoeli said:
How fast does the energy pass through the balls?
Forces are transmitted through the balls at the speed of sound in the balls. There is also a stiffness factor (how much the balls deform versus compressive force), that determines the duration of the collisions. Link to a web page with info on Newton's cradle:

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/scenario/cradle.htm

Thanks so much. :) I appreciate it.

What is the difference between snooker, billiards, and Newton's balls?

Snooker, billiards, and Newton's balls are all cue sports played on a table with balls and a cue stick. However, they have some key differences. Snooker is played on a larger table with 22 balls, while billiards is played on a smaller table with only 3 balls. Newton's balls, also known as Newton's cradle, is a desktop toy that demonstrates the conservation of momentum and energy using a series of swinging balls.

How do you determine the winner in a game of snooker or billiards?

In both snooker and billiards, players earn points by pocketing balls with the cue stick. The player with the most points at the end of the game wins. In snooker, there are also specific rules for earning points, such as hitting the balls in a specific order and earning bonus points for certain shots.

What are the physics principles involved in playing snooker or billiards?

Snooker and billiards both involve the principles of Newton's laws of motion, such as inertia, acceleration, and reaction forces. Players must also use geometry and angles to calculate their shots and make them accurately. Friction and spin also play a role in controlling the movement of the balls on the table.

What is the purpose of the cue stick in snooker or billiards?

The cue stick is used to strike the cue ball, which then hits the other balls on the table. It is used to control the direction and velocity of the cue ball, as well as impart spin on the ball for more precise shots. The cue stick also acts as a lever, allowing players to hit the cue ball with more force than they could with their hand.

Is snooker or billiards considered a sport?

There is some debate over whether snooker and billiards should be considered sports or games. While they require physical skill and strategy, they do not involve a significant amount of physical exertion. Some argue that they should be classified as precision sports, while others argue that they are simply games. Ultimately, how they are classified may vary based on personal opinions and cultural traditions.