So I am curious how many PFers own firearms here.

  • Thread starter Thread starter cronxeh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curious
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
63 replies · 10K views


I'm a pacifist too. I own guns to hunt with. I watched somebody run a fox over on purpose and not even stop to take the hide a couple days ago and it made me kind of sad to see something die for nothing, so I'm not by any means a sports hunter either.

A moose is enough meat for a whole winter; that's a lot of savings for me.
edit: not to mention healthier and tastier than angus beef.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Pythagorean said:
I'm a pacifist too. I own guns to hunt with. I watched somebody run a fox over on purpose and not even stop to take the hide a couple days ago and it made me kind of sad to see something die for nothing, so I'm not by any means a sports hunter either.

A moose is enough meat for a whole winter; that's a lot of savings for me.
edit: not to mention healthier and tastier than angus beef.

Nothing dies for nothing. Every time some carcass shows up in the forest it feeds the entire forest. Every time some human shoots a moose, it only feeds his fat lazy bottom. You want to hunt a moose like a real man? Grab a survival knife and charge at him.
 


cronxeh said:
...Every time some human shoots a moose, it only feeds his fat lazy bottom. You want to hunt a moose like a real man? Grab a survival knife and charge at him.

Hmmmmm. Why the knife? The moose isn't carrying a weapon. You can't have it both ways.
 


Averagesupernova said:
Hmmmmm. Why the knife? The moose isn't carrying a weapon. You can't have it both ways.

He's got antlers
 


cronxeh said:
You want to hunt a moose like a real man? Grab a survival knife and charge at him.

so real man = stupid man, or...?
 


Pythagorean said:
so real man = stupid man, or...?

Man strong enough to stab a moose with a knife. Efficient and fast and the food doesn't taste of lead pellets.
 


cronxeh said:
Man strong enough to stab a moose with a knife. Efficient and fast and the food doesn't taste of lead pellets.

Neither does a moose shot in the head. They also don't suffer while they're laying in the road, bleeding out after gettin' runned over. Oh wait, the moose, man, the moose.
 


Pythagorean said:
Neither does a moose shot in the head. They also don't suffer while they're laying in the road, bleeding out after gettin' runned over. Oh wait, the moose, man, the moose.

Sense. Make it
 


cronxeh said:
Sense. Make it

Says the one claiming real men charge moose with knives. The bleeding out line was referring to the fox I mentioned that you first replied to.
 


Wow, thank you cronxeh. Through this conversation, I've a new found respect for Chi Meson. I will never teach high school.
 


Gokul43201 said:
Ugh! I thought that might be smaller than direct Joule heat and/or limited mostly to the projectile. What material are rail gun bullets made of?

Edit: Oh wait, you're saying the capacitors will overheat? Hmm, that sounds possible. I didn't think the wire gauge was going to be the issue - which is what my argument above is for.

Not just temp, the ESR of the caps limits the current. Same with inductance, though not current limiting, the current rise time became problematic. Of course one still needs a fast current discharge in either case. But we never used the solenoid approach because the calculations showed there was a problem early on.

Not such a problem if one has a long enough barrel, but this was based on the desired length of the barrel, or rails.
 
Last edited:


A whole bunch of posts that were better suited for P&WA (if at all) have been deleted, along with responses to them.
 


I wonder. Since I can't get concealed carry permit in NYC, is it possible to store your gun in a safety deposit, or some kind of a specialized storage unit, somewhere in PA, CT or upstate NY?

Or just say screw it and go to Bennington, Vermont and buy/store everything there?
 
Last edited:


cronxeh said:
I wonder. Since I can't get concealed carry permit in NYC, is it possible to store your gun in a safety deposit, or some kind of a specialized storage unit, somewhere in PA, CT or upstate NY?

Or just say screw it and go to Bennington, Vermont and buy/store everything there?

Heck, you can't even get a long-gun permit in NYC. Not really. They just sit on the application for years.
 


rolerbe said:
Heck, you can't even get a long-gun permit in NYC. Not really. They just sit on the application for years.

The only state that sucks more than New York, is Commiefornia. Maryland is pretty bad too. Libtard politicians there.
 


cronxeh said:
I wonder. Since I can't get concealed carry permit in NYC, is it possible to store your gun in a safety deposit, or some kind of a specialized storage unit, somewhere in PA, CT or upstate NY?

Or just say screw it and go to Bennington, Vermont and buy/store everything there?

Why would you need a safe deposit box to store a gun? This comment makes no sense.
 


Cyrus said:
Why would you need a safe deposit box to store a gun? This comment makes no sense.

Think: Bourne Identity etc..
 


Cyrus said:
The only state that sucks more than New York, is Commiefornia. Maryland is pretty bad too. Libtard politicians there.

Actually, at least for long guns, Maryland is OK. Just moved from there and they have several really nice shotgun ranges for trap, skeet, sporting clays, etc (a minor passion of mine), and I had no problems at all. Just can't bring my pretty over-under here to NYC, and have to drive out an hour or so into NJ to get to a range, to use a worn, unfamiliar range-loaner. :-(
 


rolerbe said:
Actually, at least for long guns, Maryland is OK. Just moved from there and they have several really nice shotgun ranges for trap, skeet, sporting clays, etc (a minor passion of mine), and I had no problems at all. Just can't bring my pretty over-under here to NYC, and have to drive out an hour or so into NJ to get to a range, to use a worn, unfamiliar range-loaner. :-(

Having an open carry or cc is not an option for me as a MD resident. I need to vote these idiots all out of office.
 


Cyrus said:
Having an open carry or cc is not an option for me as a MD resident. I need to vote these idiots all out of office.

Maryland is listed as a "licensed open carry" state. Not sure what the license entails.

I do agree with the latter part of your statement in any event..:smile:
 


It should be Vermont carry or gtfo office
 


Extraordinary. You guys are scientists. Do you see any correlation between your ease of access to this kind of machine and the statistics of deaths by shooting in the USA?
 


Ken Natton said:
Extraordinary. You guys are scientists. Do you see any correlation between your ease of access to this kind of machine and the statistics of deaths by shooting in the USA?

Take a hike.
 


Ken Natton said:
Extraordinary. You guys are scientists. Do you see any correlation between your ease of access to this kind of machine and the statistics of deaths by shooting in the USA?

Do you see any failed logic in the assumption that laws will prevent criminals from getting guns?
 


Ken Natton said:
Extraordinary. You guys are scientists. Do you see any correlation between your ease of access to this kind of machine and the statistics of deaths by shooting in the USA?
I have a number of handguns, including 2 pretty potent semi-automatics for home defense. Haven't killed anybody yet. If you live this far out in the woods (at least 20-30 minutes away from police response to a 911 call), you'd better have some means of self-defense.

I have only pointed a pistol at a person once in my life. My wife heard an intruder downstairs, so I padded down there naked with my .357 Python, swung around the divider to the kitchen, and found myself with that gun pointed right between his eyes. A not-too-close relative with a penchant for B&E and burglary. He stammered something about having car trouble and needing to use the phone. I gave him 2 seconds to get out that side door. Fixed his car, too, apparently. He was able to squeal the tires when he slewed off the gravel driveway onto the pavement. Creep!
 


Ken Natton said:
Extraordinary. You guys are scientists. Do you see any correlation between your ease of access to this kind of machine and the statistics of deaths by shooting in the USA?

duhImage1.jpg


Look at the deaths for motor vehicles if you really want your mind blown.
 


Ignorant_twit said:
Look at the deaths for motor vehicles if you really want your mind blown.
That is a really dumb comparison. Why don't you pull up deaths from heart problems while you're at it, the statistics are just as meaningful in a discussion about guns.
 


Ken Natton said:
Extraordinary. You guys are scientists. Do you see any correlation between your ease of access to this kind of machine and the statistics of deaths by shooting in the USA?

For what it's worth, I agree. This whole conversation is another fascinating reminder of the cultural gulfs that can exist in this world.

Where I live, guns for hunting would be socially acceptable - but I hardly know anyone who does, and owning a gun does make them seem a little "weird". It is like they are into S+M or something.

Allowing people to own guns purely designed for killing people just seems sick. Detached from reality. Who would want to own a people-killer? I mean why?
 


apeiron said:
For what it's worth, I agree. This whole conversation is another fascinating reminder of the cultural gulfs that can exist in this world.

Where I live, guns for hunting would be socially acceptable - but I hardly know anyone who does, and owning a gun does make them seem a little "weird". It is like they are into S+M or something.

Allowing people to own guns purely designed for killing people just seems sick. Detached from reality. Who would want to own a people-killer? I mean why?

Good for you, wrong thread to post this in. Move along, nothing for you to post here.

For what it's worth, we tend to think of anti-gun advocates as ignorat, as Rose O'Donell supporting, libtards.
 
Last edited: