How do you like your coffee?

• Thread starter Parkour
  • Start date
I have never been to a coffee shop before. I usually just buy instant coffee and have it with milk and sugar (occasionally I get one from McDonald's) . I hate black coffee but I read that it tastes bad because I am using instant coffee for it. I don't really know much else about coffee but I know there is a variety out there so I am curious to know how you lovers of science like your coffee. I will google the names.

Likes symbolipoint and atyy

Answers and Replies

collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Given the choice, I prefer my coffee in cappuccino form, lately. But any espresso based coffee will do just fine.

Actually, coffee in most any form will do: french press, percolator, automatic drip, they're all fine choices. I even keep instant coffee on hand in case of emergencies, and I'm not ashamed of it. It works fine in a pinch.

Black coffee is somewhat of an acquired taste. That said, you'll find that a simple shot or two of espresso, while pretty extreme in flavor, isn't actually all that bitter. Whatever the case, if you don't like the bitterness (regardless of how coffee is made), a bit of milk or cream will take the edge off. Sugar is fine if you like sweet things. They're all good options.

The only coffee I don't like is "coffee" drinks with a bunch of syrups and syrupy flavors thrown in. That has no business being in the same establishment as proper coffee. But, to each his own, I guess.

Likes ergospherical
I have never been to a coffee shop before.
I go to a local Starbucks, but never hang out there, and have only once ever bought a coffee drink there, what they call a frappuccino. What I always buy is a bag of some dark roast coffee beans, which I have them grind for me. My wife and I have a coffee grinder, but the thing makes lots of noise but doesn't grind the coffee beans very fine.

I have one cup of coffee a day, made from 1/4 cup of ground coffee and one cup of water -- pretty strong. I like a little sugar in it, no cream. Compared to how I brew it, most restaurants make very weak coffee, suitable IMO for infants.
I usually just buy instant coffee
Yuk.:oldruck:

Likes ergospherical
DennisN
Gold Member
2020 Award
80% medium strong coffee, 20% milk and a little sugar is my preference.
It is my understanding that here in Sweden we are accustomed to quite strong coffee.
When I have visited other countries I have often found the coffee to be a bit weak for my taste :smile:.

Likes pinball1970, collinsmark, atyy and 1 other person
When I have visited other countries I have often found the coffee to be a bit weak for my taste :smile:.
Same here.
At home it's a good old moka pot, when away it's espresso or double.
Bit of sugar and bit of cream.

Once we spent a day aimlessly wandering around in a town in Germany till we could find some decent coffee.
We just did not had the energy to get going. Felt like wearing slippers through the day.

I am using instant coffee for it.
You may get the caffeine, but not the taste :oldruck:
Coffee is very different:cool:

• Haha
Likes DennisN, collinsmark and atyy
caz
Gold Member
Lavazza gold from a moka pot with real cream (not fat free or powdered).
I like a little sugar, but that is personal preference.

Last edited:
Likes ergospherical
hutchphd
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Every morning I make a Cappuccino with a dusting of cinnamon sugar and shaved very dark chocolate. The rest of the day is downhill from that.

Likes collinsmark, hmmm27, Charles Link and 1 other person
pinball1970
Gold Member
80% medium strong coffee, 20% milk and a little sugar is my preference.
It is my understanding that here in Sweden we are accustomed to quite strong coffee.
You have never been to Turkey?

Me neither but I happened upon some Turkish colleagues of a colleague at a work event and we had Turkish coffee over Lunch.

It was black, viscous, quite gritty and unpleasant overall but the after effects were quite striking.

I walked round the rest of the Exhibition a little spaced out checking my pulse every 5 minutes.

I had a similar effect from Italian coffee first time I had it, tiny little cup with a big hit- much prettier overall though. Not as gritty.

• Haha
Likes WWGD, DennisN, collinsmark and 3 others
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Is it wrong of me to think of this?

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes O2PiArr, pinball1970, DennisN and 5 others
pinball1970
Gold Member
I will confess to being an instant guy at home too, just for convenience.
I do like the real stuff when I get the chance.
Culturally we are tea drinkers but with advent of the fast food industry and chain places the younger generation are much more clued up.
Just ordering the damn thing needed a quick lesson from staff first time I went in.
Today if grab one while I am in town it is Americano with a little milk added after, no sugar, no froth. Very nice.

ergospherical
Gold Member
I drink tea, darling. 😌

pinball1970
Gold Member
I drink tea, darling. 😌
Obviously you are not obliged to answer I just wanted to test my powers of deduction

atyy
Science Advisor
I have never been to a coffee shop before. I usually just buy instant coffee and have it with milk and sugar (occasionally I get one from McDonald's) . I hate black coffee but I read that it tastes bad because I am using instant coffee for it. I don't really know much else about coffee but I know there is a variety out there so I am curious to know how you lovers of science like your coffee. I will google the names.
How about the high class coffee from McDonald's? Here in Singapore those McDonald's are McCafes.

Likes Charles Link
Depends. If I'm in a coffee shop it's a dirty chai tea latte (a chai tea latte with 2 shots of espresso).

If I'm home, we grind our coffee and have a pour over. Teaspoon of sugar and 2 tablespoons of milk.

I grew up in New Orleans, so I prefer dark roast coffee so strong you really can't drink it without a little cream and sugar. (I also am used to coffee and chicory, but that's a different conversation.) I find it appalling when you can see the bottom of a full cup of coffee.
French drip or French press are the gold standards of preparation, although I have used an Aeropress and it also makes excellent coffee. I received a Nespresso machine for my birthday, and I enjoy that also, however I feel a little guilty about the packaging waste of the pods.

Likes WWGD, collinsmark and hutchphd
You have never been to Turkey?
Nor have I, but I once had turska kava (Turkish coffee), in Split, in what is now Croatia. It was as you described it: very strong, very sweet, and with plenty of grounds in it.
I find it appalling when you can see the bottom of a full cup of coffee.
Same here. A restaurant where I occasionally had breakfast years ago served coffee in clear glass mugs. The coffee was so week that you could read a newspaper through the sides of a full mug of their coffee.

Likes pinball1970
gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I have been drinking coffee since first grade. At that time with milk and sugar. After grad school, I ditched the cream.

For breakfast black with just enough sugar to begin to taste the sweetness. After dinner often just black especially with dessert.

Best little expresso-style, stove-top coffee maker but be sure you use decent coffee.

bialetti.png

Likes rsk and Charles Link
Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
I brew mine with a "Mr. Coffee" coffee maker. I often use Maxwell House coffee, and I like it with cream/milk. I also have a Starbucks in my neighborhood, just one block away, and often go there for a cup. :smile:

Black with a cigarette as the sun rises above the horizon.

Likes atyy and hmmm27
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
You CAN have good 'black' coffee, and when the word "good" is used here, this really does mean "very good or excellent flavor". How to get this is, buy unroasted high quality green coffee beans and learn to roast the coffee yourself. Store in sealed jar in cool place for a few hours. When ready, grind and brew what you need as you need. You can use a drip filter, or whatever method. NO cream! NO sugar! No sweetener! The coffee WILL taste great on its own. With only a small bit of practice, YOUR coffee will be better than from any coffee shop; better than from any fast food restaurant.

You just must get high quality beans and roast them yourself.

Likes Charles Link
collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Me neither but I happened upon some Turkish colleagues of a colleague at a work event and we had Turkish coffee over Lunch.

It was black, viscous, quite gritty and unpleasant overall but the after effects were quite striking.
Yeah, Turkish coffee too. That's what I'm takin' about. So thick you can tell fortunes after the liquid is gone by the residue left in the bottom of the cup.

I grew up in New Orleans, so I prefer dark roast coffee so strong you really can't drink it without a little cream and sugar. (I also am used to coffee and chicory, but that's a different conversation.) I find it appalling when you can see the bottom of a full cup of coffee.
That brings back some memories. I spent some time in New Orleans too. Once acquired, the taste and desire for chicory in the coffee is long lasting. I should check my local grocery to see if they have any chicory. If not, I might have an old friend who can hook me up.

LCSphysicist
2020 Award
Pure coffe, no sugar.
If it is necessary to add sugar, i would add "organic sugar", not the white one. But i can't buy organic sugar frequently because it is expensive. So, in the end, no sugar.

I drink tea, darling. 😌
May god have mercy on your soul, you heretic! haha

Once a time i went to starbucks, but i didn't like it, and it is expensive too. I think i didn't like beucase i didn't make the ritual... i forgot to take picture and post in all social medials available with some impact description...

• Haha
Likes atyy, DennisN and ergospherical
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Pure coffe, no sugar.
If it is necessary to add sugar, i would add "organic sugar", not the white one. But i can't buy organic sugar frequently because it is expensive. So, in the end, no sugar.

May god have mercy on your soul, you heretic! haha

Once a time i went to starbucks, but i didn't like it, and it is expensive too. I think i didn't like beucase i didn't make the ritual... i forgot to take picture and post in all social medials available with some impact description...
Good coffee does not need any sugar.

BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
I used to use cream or milk in my coffee.
Now I just take it black with a little bit salt (shaken, not ground).
Bitter coffee is not one of my favorites.

The salt is a trick I learned from some sailors on a ship I used to work on.
These on the bridge would make a jug of coffee at the beginning of a 4 hour watch and it would be on the heater for a long time. A bit of salt reduces the bitterness.
Not sure of the mechanism, but it may involve the bitterness taste receptor, rather than chemistry in the coffee itself.

• Wow
  • Informative
Likes atyy, DennisN, jasonRF and 1 other person