How do you like your coffee?

• Thread starter Parkour
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee
In summary: American.In summary, coffee lovers apparently have many preferences. Some prefer black coffee while others prefer espresso. Some like their coffee with sugar and others like it without. Some like their coffee strong and others like it weak. Some like it with cream while others like it without. Some like Turkish coffee and others like Italian coffee. There is apparently no one right way to enjoy coffee.
Parkour
I have never been to a coffee shop before. I usually just buy instant coffee and have it with milk and sugar (occasionally I get one from McDonald's) . I hate black coffee but I read that it tastes bad because I am using instant coffee for it. I don't really know much else about coffee but I know there is a variety out there so I am curious to know how you lovers of science like your coffee. I will google the names.

Likes symbolipoint and atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
Given the choice, I prefer my coffee in cappuccino form, lately. But any espresso based coffee will do just fine.

Actually, coffee in most any form will do: french press, percolator, automatic drip, they're all fine choices. I even keep instant coffee on hand in case of emergencies, and I'm not ashamed of it. It works fine in a pinch.

Black coffee is somewhat of an acquired taste. That said, you'll find that a simple shot or two of espresso, while pretty extreme in flavor, isn't actually all that bitter. Whatever the case, if you don't like the bitterness (regardless of how coffee is made), a bit of milk or cream will take the edge off. Sugar is fine if you like sweet things. They're all good options.

The only coffee I don't like is "coffee" drinks with a bunch of syrups and syrupy flavors thrown in. That has no business being in the same establishment as proper coffee. But, to each his own, I guess.

Likes Klystron and ergospherical
Parkour said:
I have never been to a coffee shop before.
I go to a local Starbucks, but never hang out there, and have only once ever bought a coffee drink there, what they call a frappuccino. What I always buy is a bag of some dark roast coffee beans, which I have them grind for me. My wife and I have a coffee grinder, but the thing makes lots of noise but doesn't grind the coffee beans very fine.

I have one cup of coffee a day, made from 1/4 cup of ground coffee and one cup of water -- pretty strong. I like a little sugar in it, no cream. Compared to how I brew it, most restaurants make very weak coffee, suitable IMO for infants.
Parkour said:
I usually just buy instant coffee
Yuk.:oldruck:

Likes ergospherical
80% medium strong coffee, 20% milk and a little sugar is my preference.
It is my understanding that here in Sweden we are accustomed to quite strong coffee.
When I have visited other countries I have often found the coffee to be a bit weak for my taste :smile:.

Likes pinball1970, collinsmark, atyy and 1 other person
DennisN said:
When I have visited other countries I have often found the coffee to be a bit weak for my taste :smile:.
Same here.
At home it's a good old moka pot, when away it's espresso or double.
Bit of sugar and bit of cream.

Once we spent a day aimlessly wandering around in a town in Germany till we could find some decent coffee.
We just did not had the energy to get going. Felt like wearing slippers through the day.

Parkour said:
I am using instant coffee for it.
You may get the caffeine, but not the taste :oldruck:
Coffee is very different:cool:

• Haha
Likes DennisN, collinsmark and atyy
Lavazza gold from a moka pot with real cream (not fat free or powdered).
I like a little sugar, but that is personal preference.

Last edited:
Likes ergospherical
Every morning I make a Cappuccino with a dusting of cinnamon sugar and shaved very dark chocolate. The rest of the day is downhill from that.

Likes collinsmark, hmmm27, Charles Link and 1 other person
DennisN said:
80% medium strong coffee, 20% milk and a little sugar is my preference.
It is my understanding that here in Sweden we are accustomed to quite strong coffee.
You have never been to Turkey?

Me neither but I happened upon some Turkish colleagues of a colleague at a work event and we had Turkish coffee over Lunch.

It was black, viscous, quite gritty and unpleasant overall but the after effects were quite striking.

I walked round the rest of the Exhibition a little spaced out checking my pulse every 5 minutes.

I had a similar effect from Italian coffee first time I had it, tiny little cup with a big hit- much prettier overall though. Not as gritty.

• Haha
Likes WWGD, DennisN, collinsmark and 3 others
Is it wrong of me to think of this?

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes O2PiArr, pinball1970, DennisN and 5 others
I will confess to being an instant guy at home too, just for convenience.
I do like the real stuff when I get the chance.
Culturally we are tea drinkers but with advent of the fast food industry and chain places the younger generation are much more clued up.
Just ordering the damn thing needed a quick lesson from staff first time I went in.
Today if grab one while I am in town it is Americano with a little milk added after, no sugar, no froth. Very nice.

I drink tea, darling. 😌

• Love
Likes Math100 and Klystron
ergospherical said:
I drink tea, darling. 😌
So either British or female and American?

ergospherical said:
I drink tea, darling. 😌
Obviously you are not obliged to answer I just wanted to test my powers of deduction

Parkour said:
I have never been to a coffee shop before. I usually just buy instant coffee and have it with milk and sugar (occasionally I get one from McDonald's) . I hate black coffee but I read that it tastes bad because I am using instant coffee for it. I don't really know much else about coffee but I know there is a variety out there so I am curious to know how you lovers of science like your coffee. I will google the names.
How about the high class coffee from McDonald's? Here in Singapore those McDonald's are McCafes.

Likes Charles Link
Depends. If I'm in a coffee shop it's a dirty chai tea latte (a chai tea latte with 2 shots of espresso).

If I'm home, we grind our coffee and have a pour over. Teaspoon of sugar and 2 tablespoons of milk.

Likes atyy
I grew up in New Orleans, so I prefer dark roast coffee so strong you really can't drink it without a little cream and sugar. (I also am used to coffee and chicory, but that's a different conversation.) I find it appalling when you can see the bottom of a full cup of coffee.
French drip or French press are the gold standards of preparation, although I have used an Aeropress and it also makes excellent coffee. I received a Nespresso machine for my birthday, and I enjoy that also, however I feel a little guilty about the packaging waste of the pods.

Likes Klystron, WWGD, collinsmark and 1 other person
pinball1970 said:
Nor have I, but I once had turska kava (Turkish coffee), in Split, in what is now Croatia. It was as you described it: very strong, very sweet, and with plenty of grounds in it.
sandy stone said:
I find it appalling when you can see the bottom of a full cup of coffee.
Same here. A restaurant where I occasionally had breakfast years ago served coffee in clear glass mugs. The coffee was so week that you could read a newspaper through the sides of a full mug of their coffee.

• Sad
Likes Keith_McClary and pinball1970
I have been drinking coffee since first grade. At that time with milk and sugar. After grad school, I ditched the cream.

For breakfast black with just enough sugar to begin to taste the sweetness. After dinner often just black especially with dessert.Best little expresso-style, stove-top coffee maker but be sure you use decent coffee.

bialetti.png

Likes rsk and Charles Link
I brew mine with a "Mr. Coffee" coffee maker. I often use Maxwell House coffee, and I like it with cream/milk. I also have a Starbucks in my neighborhood, just one block away, and often go there for a cup. :smile:

Likes atyy
Black with a cigarette as the sun rises above the horizon.

Likes atyy and hmmm27
Parkour said:
You CAN have good 'black' coffee, and when the word "good" is used here, this really does mean "very good or excellent flavor". How to get this is, buy unroasted high quality green coffee beans and learn to roast the coffee yourself. Store in sealed jar in cool place for a few hours. When ready, grind and brew what you need as you need. You can use a drip filter, or whatever method. NO cream! NO sugar! No sweetener! The coffee WILL taste great on its own. With only a small bit of practice, YOUR coffee will be better than from any coffee shop; better than from any fast food restaurant.

You just must get high quality beans and roast them yourself.

Likes Charles Link
pinball1970 said:
Me neither but I happened upon some Turkish colleagues of a colleague at a work event and we had Turkish coffee over Lunch.

It was black, viscous, quite gritty and unpleasant overall but the after effects were quite striking.
Yeah, Turkish coffee too. That's what I'm takin' about. So thick you can tell fortunes after the liquid is gone by the residue left in the bottom of the cup.

sandy stone said:
I grew up in New Orleans, so I prefer dark roast coffee so strong you really can't drink it without a little cream and sugar. (I also am used to coffee and chicory, but that's a different conversation.) I find it appalling when you can see the bottom of a full cup of coffee.
That brings back some memories. I spent some time in New Orleans too. Once acquired, the taste and desire for chicory in the coffee is long lasting. I should check my local grocery to see if they have any chicory. If not, I might have an old friend who can hook me up.

Pure coffe, no sugar.
If it is necessary to add sugar, i would add "organic sugar", not the white one. But i can't buy organic sugar frequently because it is expensive. So, in the end, no sugar.

ergospherical said:
I drink tea, darling. 😌
May god have mercy on your soul, you heretic! haha

Once a time i went to starbucks, but i didn't like it, and it is expensive too. I think i didn't like beucase i didn't make the ritual... i forgot to take picture and post in all social medials available with some impact description...

• Haha
Likes atyy, DennisN and ergospherical
LCSphysicist said:
Pure coffe, no sugar.
If it is necessary to add sugar, i would add "organic sugar", not the white one. But i can't buy organic sugar frequently because it is expensive. So, in the end, no sugar.May god have mercy on your soul, you heretic! haha

Once a time i went to starbucks, but i didn't like it, and it is expensive too. I think i didn't like beucase i didn't make the ritual... i forgot to take picture and post in all social medials available with some impact description...
Good coffee does not need any sugar.

Likes Klystron and jasonRF
I used to use cream or milk in my coffee.
Now I just take it black with a little bit salt (shaken, not ground).
Bitter coffee is not one of my favorites.

The salt is a trick I learned from some sailors on a ship I used to work on.
These on the bridge would make a jug of coffee at the beginning of a 4 hour watch and it would be on the heater for a long time. A bit of salt reduces the bitterness.
Not sure of the mechanism, but it may involve the bitterness taste receptor, rather than chemistry in the coffee itself.

• Wow
  • Informative
Likes atyy, DennisN, jasonRF and 1 other person
LCSphysicist said:
Haha yeah, and Starbucks coffee tends to be insanely unhealthy as well. That’s another benefit of tea, a nice Earl Grey has nearly zero calories. 😜

The profit margin on coffee is also ridiculous. When I was a barista over the summer we’d frequently give away free coffee to regulars & tradespeople from the same high-street and happily throw away coffee if the “latté art” wasn’t quite right or if people wanted to change their orders, because it costs hardly anything to make a single one!

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
pinball1970 said:

No, I've never been to Turkey. But it rings a bell. I may be mistaken, but there's something that reminds me of a bit of historical connection. Something like coffee culture spreading to Europe from Turkey through the Balkans at some point in history. Time to google it... :smile:

Here's an NPR podcast, Travel with Rick Steves. The episode is all mostly about coffee. Specifically, it's about Berlin, and coffee in Italy (and some non-coffee things).

Some takeaways are that Italians are a bit spoiled when it comes to coffee: they have very good espresso based coffee and it's cheap. When they travel abroad, they'll drink the espresso coffee at coffee shops, sure. But if they decide not to, it's only because they'd go broke; it's so damned expensive outside their country.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
pinball1970 said:
Turkish coffee ... It was black, viscous, quite gritty and unpleasant overall but the after effects were quite striking.
Honestly, I know what's that about but I prefer coffee which I can drink at least a mouthful without immediate caffeine poisoning 😨
Turkish coffee is something really serious. It's the absinth of coffees.

On the other hand: interesting that both tea and coffee has these special cases flirting with soups o0)

• Haha
Likes DennisN and pinball1970
symbolipoint said:
How to get this is, buy unroasted high quality green coffee beans and learn to roast the coffee yourself.
Years ago I worked with a guy from Sri Lanka. He had contempt for the coffee in the break room. Told me how his mother would wake up early to roast the bean and prepare "real coffee."

Vanadium 50 said:

Can't say it's wrong as it came to my mind as soon as I read the title of the thread...

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
At home, I drink strong pour-over coffee. Generally black, though recently I've been cutting it lightly with oat-milk. I much prefer light-roast as the flavor is far superior - and grinding beans at home just before use.

When out: double espresso, black unless at some establishment with terrible coffee (e.g. Starbucks) then cut with cream.

I do miss the Italian cafe, cheap short shots ($0.80-$1.00). Expresso in small town here is $3+tip, but taller and stronger...

In school (not too long ago) I switched for a time from coffee to tea. Four double shots a day started to feel excessive. As far as tea goes, I'd swear by high mountain Oolongs.

Likes Keith_McClary and Klystron
gmax137 said:
Years ago I worked with a guy from Sri Lanka. He had contempt for the coffee in the break room. Told me how his mother would wake up early to roast the bean and prepare "real coffee."
Very very understandable. The difference is HUGE.

What I find or the way I find is like this:
Most coffees from, like normal grocery store and fancier specialty grocery store, regardless of labeling, have been roasted to a dark roast or beyond; even if the labeling says "light roast" or "medium"; it is most often still actually too darkly roasted, which reduces the amount of flavor, and often enough also gives a charcoal, burned flavor. Along with this, I suspect most of these supplies was of coffees not of the best quality.

There are occasional exceptions. A new, small coffee bar near us has a brew of coffee they serve or sell to customers, which seems to be possibly a medium level roast and of decent flavor.

Vanadium 50 said:

Ok I think this will not be deleted now so I can comment.
There is something extremely inappropriate and slightly disturbing with this scene which is probably why it is also very funny.

onatirec said:
I much prefer light-roast as the flavor is far superior - and grinding beans at home just before use.
That's the way to do it! Light roast means more flavor and better flavor. Also, Most high quality coffees will have a sweetness that is present and easier to sense/taste/find at the light-roast level; which is why I say/said, good coffee doe not need added sweetener.

Likes Keith_McClary and Jarvis323