1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So I started my REU a couple days ago

1. Jan 27, 2007 #1
    So I started my REU a couple days ago....

I will be working on growing Aluminum Nitride wide bandgap semiconductors by molecular beam epitaxy. I am not sure what my specific project will be yet sicne I just started. My advisor has had me read a textbook on MBE technology, and he had me read up on the UHV technology. He has some other books lined up for me to read as well.

I don't think I will get a real project for a few weeks (this REU will be a one year thing...I will work part time this spring, full time in the summer, and part time in the fall). During the first few weeks I think I will be just studying and helping out with miscellaneous tasks that my professors needs help with. Is this typical or an REU? I came in expecting to get assigned a project right away. I certainly hope I get assigned a project eventually because I would like to eventually publish. I also want to apply my REU experience toward my senior project.

The professor that runs the lab is in India for 3 weeks. When he comes back I will go talk to him about funding for a project. This is what my advisor told me to do.

Also, my advisor has a very strong Russian accent so he can be difficult to understand sometimes. I fear this will be a serious hurdle...He is a nice guy though, and has been quite helpful thus far.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2007 #2
    I guess my question is, what is the typical REU like? Am I getting the same experience as most REUs? I have only been in the REU for a very short period of time, but from what other students have told me, their REU experiences were very intense and they were given a project from the get go. I feel like I am perhaps being babied. However, this could be just due to the fact that I am part time right now (only around 10 hours per week) and my REU time period is around a year.
  4. Jan 27, 2007 #3
    Just some simple input. Most of the REU i'm aware of are only for ten weeks and usually have a two week crash course into the subject they are researching, so that the students may be better prepared. I would not worry about being behind others in your REU, in fact, since it is for a year, I would consider you to be ahead.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?