Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SO2 scrubbing with NaOH aquas solution

1. Oct 9, 2014 #1
    Hi friends, as part of my research work, I need to scrub off the SO2 content in the exhaust flue gas from a tubular furnace in my lab.

I got the information about the usage of NaOH aquas solution for the SO2 scrubbing.

Could you please suggest the ratio of water and NaOH that would be mixed together.

The flow rate of the exhaust gas mixture is 200 ml/min. The SO2 content in the gas mixture os 0.25%.

I got stuck in this portion of my project....Please help me...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

This is more chemical engineering than just chemistry.

4. Oct 9, 2014 #3
    Hmmm, could you please suggest an approximate ratio....

5. Oct 10, 2014 #4
    It depends on the setup. How is the contact being carried out?

Chet

6. Oct 12, 2014 #5
    We are planning to bubble the exhaust gas which contain SO2 through the NaOH solution in a container.
    The flow rate of the exhaust gas is 200 ml/min.
    The 'ppm' (Parts Per Million) of SO2 in the exhaust flue gas is 5.26.
    But, the allowable ppm for SO2 is below 5 ppm.
    I don't know in what ratio we need to mix the water and NaOH for scrubbing the SO2 from this exhaust flue gas.

7. Oct 13, 2014 #6
    As Borek said in #2, this is a chemical engineering problem involving convective mass transfer and interphase equilibrium near rising bubble interfaces. Hire a chemical engineering consultant to help you.

Chet

8. Oct 14, 2014 #7
    If you are already at 5.26 ppm, and you want <5 ppm, you are pretty close. The most NaOH in water you can get is 50%, a saturated solution. At that concentration you will have some salt precipitation if any water evaporates.

So try 25-40%. NaOH in water

9. Oct 15, 2014 #8
    It means, for 1 ltr of water, we can go for 250 - 400 g of NaOH. Am I rt?

10. Oct 15, 2014 #9
    It means, for 1 ltr of water, we can go for 250 - 400 g of NaOH. Am I rt?

11. Oct 15, 2014 #10

Borek

Not exactly, but most likely close enough.

12. Oct 16, 2014 #11
    Friends, could you please let me know the solubility of K2SO4 and Na2SO4 in water at room temperature....

13. Oct 16, 2014 #12

Borek

Have you tried wikipedia?

14. Oct 16, 2014 #13
    Yes, but in that, they have given the solubility at 20-25 Deg. C.
    Can we consider this as the solubility of these chemicals at room temperature?
    Am totally confused......
    Please forgive my ignorance.....

15. Oct 16, 2014 #14

Borek

20-25 deg C is a room temperature.

Any decent chemistry handbook will contain solubility tables, typically for different temperatures. Mine definitely has them.

16. Oct 27, 2014 #15
    Friends, if we know the individual melting point of the compounds, is there any way to find out the eutectic temperature of the mixture of these compounds?
    Could you please help me to find out
    Thank you for the information....it worked well...

17. Oct 27, 2014 #16
    Hi friends,
    If we know the individual melting point of certain compounds, is it possible to find out the Eutectic temperature of the mixture of these compounds?

Could you please help me to find out the Eutectic temperature of the mixture contains K2SO4, Na2SO4, Fe2O3, Al2O3 and SiO2

18. Oct 27, 2014 #17

Borek

Please start new threads for new problems.

This is again about data that - if known - are held in tables in specialized handbooks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook