Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sobolev type norms and basis functions

1. Jan 26, 2012 #1
    Hello everybody,

I am given a "Sobolev type innerproduct"

[itex]\langle f,g \rangle_{\alpha} = \langle f,g \rangle_{L^2} + \alpha \langle Rf,Rg \rangle_{L^2}[/itex]

for some [itex]\alpha \geq 0[/itex] and [itex]R[/itex] some differential operator (e.g. the second-derivative operator).

My question is now whether a function space endowed with such an inner-product can be a Hilbert space?

Also I wonder whether there exists an analogue to the spectral theorem for compact and self-adjoint operators on Hilbert spaces also in Sobolev spaces?

Thanks for any input on these questions!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2012 #2
    I figured it out!

I showed that the norm induced by [itex]\langle \cdot, \cdot \rangle_{\alpha}[/itex] is indeed equivalent to the standard Sobolev norm [itex] \Vert \cdot \Vert_{W^{2,2}}[/itex] of the Sobolev space [itex] W^{2,2} [/itex] which is of course the (reproducing kernel) Hilbert space [itex] H^2 [/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook