Software for symbolic calculations in high energy physics

In summary, there is software available, such as Maple and Mathematica, that can understand gamma and sigma matrices, perform convolutions over Lorentz and group indices, and handle covariant differentiation and trace operations. However, using these programs may come with difficulties, and there are other options such as the Tracer and FeynCalc packages that specialize in this type of work and offer support forums. These packages also have capabilities for handling "Diracology" and implementing rules for dimensional regularization.
illuminates
I interest the software, which understands gamma and sigma matrices, that the convolution can go over Lorentz indexs, and over group indexs, which understands what is covariant differentiation, trace.
I tried to use maple, but work goes with difficulty. Although I write convolution over different indexs, maple works with such expressions with difficulty. Maybe is there another program which easy understands what I want from one? (Preferably with the tex syntax and a support forum. But I listen to any recommendations)

Physics news on Phys.org
I only know mathematica. There are several packages for this kind of things. A very simple one is Tracer, which handles "Diracology", including the rules for dimensional regularization (with the 't Hooft-prescription for the behavior of the "chiral" ##\gamma_5## matrix to implement the correct structure of the chiral anomaly in the Standard model (axial U(1) symmetry broken, vector U(1) intact as it must be in QCD)

http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/2987/

A newer package is

FeynCalc
https://feyncalc.github.io/

1. What is symbolic calculation software?

Symbolic calculation software is a type of computer program that allows scientists to manipulate and solve mathematical equations using symbols instead of numerical values. This is particularly useful in high energy physics research, where equations can involve complex and abstract concepts.

2. Why is symbolic calculation software important in high energy physics?

Symbolic calculation software allows researchers to efficiently and accurately perform calculations and simulations that would be difficult or impossible to solve by hand. This is especially important in high energy physics, where equations can involve numerous variables and complex calculations.

3. What are some common features of symbolic calculation software?

Some common features of symbolic calculation software include the ability to manipulate and simplify equations, perform algebraic and calculus operations, plot graphs and visualize data, and handle large and complex equations. Many programs also have built-in databases and libraries for various mathematical functions and constants.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using symbolic calculation software?

While symbolic calculation software can greatly aid in high energy physics research, it is not without limitations. Some equations and calculations may be too complex for the software to handle, or may require additional programming or customization. Additionally, the accuracy of results may be affected by the precision of the input data and the algorithms used by the software.

5. What are some examples of popular symbolic calculation software used in high energy physics?

Some popular symbolic calculation software used in high energy physics include Mathematica, Maple, and Matlab. These programs have advanced features and capabilities specifically designed for scientific research, making them popular choices among physicists and other scientists.