Software recommendations for Drawing Molecules

In summary: Molecules:_SVG_FilesIn summary, people use different types of drawing programs to create molecules in a digital manner. Some programs are designed to be used with 3D drawings, while others are more general purpose.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What do people use for drawing molecules (in a digital manner)?

I would like to make space filling type models as well as letters representing the atoms connected by lines at different angles.
The second kind I could make with ad drawing program, but there's got to be a better way.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Geogebra maybe? If you want post a hand-drawn sketch, and I'll send you back the Geogebra file. Is it a 3D drawing?

mcastillo356 said:
Geogebra maybe?
Thanks for the suggestion. :smile:

Checked it out quickly on line.
Looks like a math program with some drawing capabilities rather then a chemical drawing program.
I am getting old and lazy and just want a simple molecule drawing program.

Probably also, connected to some data base of chemicals, so you could say ethanol and it would bring up the structure.

The drawing of the two different kinds of diagrams could be done by different programs.
Although both together would optimal.

mcastillo356 said:
Is it a 3D drawing?
I would be using 2D drawings as the output, but the space filling ball models come in 3D (as I understand) and you then get a 2D rendering of that.
Being able to rotate the molecule vs. view before rendering would be useful in making figures.

I like GeoGebra.
Glowscript/VPython (at Glowscript.org or trinket.io) is another possibility.
However, those are more general purpose... not really Chemically oriented.

These might be useful:
https://molview.org/
http://biomodel.uah.es/en/DIY/JSME/draw.en.htm
https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov//edit3/index.html
https://chemagic.org/molecules/amini.html

If any of these latter ones output your creation in a standard format,
one could view the structure in another viewer, like the ones at the top or some other 3d viewing program.

Likes BillTre
Chemsketch was always my first choice.

Likes BillTre
ChemSketch gets another recommendation from my friendly neighbourhood chemist (Mrs. Ibix). It's free, which is a bonus.

Likes BillTre
I use ChemDraw package which includes 3D model output of the input chemical structure. It's not free though. I use my university license.

Likes Mayhem, chemisttree and BillTre
What about programs that could draw whole biochemical pathways?

Anybody know any thing about programs that do that?

BillTre said:
What do people use for drawing molecules (in a digital manner)?
Many years back, I attended a molecular modelling workshop, and we were taught how to use Avogadro. It's open-source. I stopped using it since a long time because I moved over to particle physics, but as far as I remember, it was fairly easy to draw molecules using this software.

Likes BillTre
Borek said:
Chemsketch was always my first choice.
BillTre said:
What about programs that could draw whole biochemical pathways?
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but looking though the ChemSketch pages, it does include some biochemical process capabilities:

https://www.acdlabs.com/download/quickstart/draw/QSG_ChemSketch_BiosequenceTools.pdf

Likes BillTre
berkeman said:
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but looking though the ChemSketch pages, it does include some biochemical process capabilities:

https://www.acdlabs.com/download/quickstart/draw/QSG_ChemSketch_BiosequenceTools.pdf

Looks interesting.
It looks like it requires some additional software to run on Macs.
I'll probably be getting a new Mac soon (see below), so I'll have to determine if it will work on a new machine (with a new processor).

My old apple laptop now has hardware problems.
I have just figured out that my battery is swelling up (a known problem).
It is recommended to get battery replaced, but I'll probably get a new 13" M1 macbook pro (I want a larger screen but those versions have not come out yet).
Then I'll probably get the battery fixed afterwards and figure out what to do with the old machine (recycle to a relative or trade in for new computer for relative).

I'll have to deal with the hardware first.

BillTre said:
I have just figured out that my battery is swelling up (a known problem).
They should call it MacGout. 😂

You might try an online application.

MolView

Kind of easy to use.

Likes sysprog and BillTre
  • Wow
Likes BillTre
@BillTre yeah the reactions of each of over 70 enzymes well-charted ##\dots##

sysprog said:
@BillTre yeah the reaction of each of over 70 enzymes well-charted ##\dots##

I have an old book that has similar figures.
I like these overviews of the processes.
Metabolism is impressively complex.

Likes sysprog
Likes BillTre

1. What are the best software options for drawing molecules?

Some popular software options for drawing molecules include ChemDraw, MarvinSketch, and ChemSketch. These programs are widely used by scientists and researchers in the field of chemistry.

2. Can these software programs accurately depict complex molecular structures?

Yes, these programs have advanced features that allow for the accurate and detailed depiction of complex molecular structures. They also have tools for measuring bond lengths and angles, as well as calculating molecular properties.

3. Are there any free software options for drawing molecules?

Yes, there are some free software options available, such as Avogadro, Jmol, and BKChem. These programs may have limited features compared to paid software, but they can still be useful for basic molecule drawing tasks.

4. Can these software programs be used for virtual simulations and experiments?

Some of the more advanced software options, like ChemDraw and MarvinSketch, have features that allow for virtual simulations and experiments. This can be useful for predicting molecular behavior and interactions.

5. Is there a learning curve for using these software programs?

Yes, there is typically a learning curve for using any new software program. However, most of these programs have user-friendly interfaces and offer tutorials and support to help users get started. With practice, users can become proficient in using these software programs for drawing molecules.