Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Software to calculate detection probability for simple cases

1. May 10, 2015 #1
    I would like to find a computer program that will calculate the detection probabilities for particles in simple problems. For example, the user might specify that there are three detectors and two particle sources. We specify the complex amplitude of the wave FROM each source TO each detector. We specify whether the particles are distinguishable, whether they are fermions or bosons, and so on. The program would then output the probabilities of finding n particles at the mth detector for each m, n.

Other features that would be really nice:
    [1] Specifying simple shapes and areas for the detectors, and specifying how the complex amplitude varies over the surface
    [2] Some sort of graphic representation of the problem and its solution
    [3] A button to run the same problem again and again, showing randomized outputs that are statistically consistent with the defined problem -- including, say, coincident detections between different detectors.

Is there something like this available as freeware / shareware / online applet / library code ?

Thanks,
    S T

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. May 18, 2015 #3
    Thank, Greg. I did find "Quantum Toolbox for Python" at http://qutip.org. However, this program (actually, a set of tools for Python like it says on the tin) is a bit daunting to one with my level of knowledge and understanding. Using this for my simple cases may be like using a shovel as a flyswatter, so I am still looking out for something more suitable for educational contexts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook