Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Solar and Lunar Eclipse - size of moon

1. Jun 16, 2012 #1
    If during a solar eclipse the moon tapers one moon diameter, wouldn't a lunar eclipse taper one earth diameter?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2012 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi samona

what do you mean by tapers one moon diameter ?
    you do realise that the moon is a lot closer to the earth than the sun is ?

Dave

4. Jun 16, 2012 #3
    I meant the shadow of the moon tapers 1 moon diameter on the earth during a solar eclipse. My physics book says that the earth's shadow on the moon during a lunar eclipse also tapers 1 moon diameter.

My physics book says that if the moon's shadow tapers 1 moon diameter on the earth during a solar eclipse, then the earth's shadow tapers one moon diameter during a lunar eclipse. Therefore, since the earth's shadow is 2.5 times wider than the moon, if you take into account that the earth's shadow tapers 1 moon diameter than the earth is 3.5(2.5 + 1) times larger than the moon.

My confusion is that if the moon's shadow tapers 1 moon diameter, why does the earth's shadow also taper 1 moon diameter? Wouldn't the earth's shadow taper one earth diameter?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook