Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solenoid force to electrical current

1. May 10, 2006 #1
    Hi,

Please remind me of formulas to convert the mechanical froce (lb) to electrical current (I) or power (W)? Thanks

Mike

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

That sounds a bit strange to me. The force should depend just as much upon the number and arrangement of windings, and also the material that the plunger is made of. :confused:

4. May 10, 2006 #3
    I meant, if we design a solenoid driver ckt that can hold 2 lb (force), what power or current minimum needed to do this job.

5. May 10, 2006 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

As Danger indicated, the amount of force created is not only related to the amount of electrical current applied, but also to other factors such as the number of turns of wire in the coil, the size of the solenoid, and the magnetic character of the steel used will affect the amount of force developed.

Is the force of 2 lbs on the core?

6. May 10, 2006 #5

Danger

Gold Member

As a 'for instance', some 115 VAC appliances have solenoids which barely put out an ounce of force, such as the hold-down latch in a toaster. Conversely, EftonScience (formerly Edmund Scientific Co.) sells one that runs on two 'D' size batteries and can lift 500 lbs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?