Making a 2D Problem into a 1D Problem

• Thread starter chessguy103
  • Start date
  • Tags
    1d 2d
In summary, the conversation discusses how to convert a 2D pressure problem into a 1D beam problem in order to estimate the maximum distance between bolts. The participants also discuss factors such as safety and deformation when choosing bolts and plates. They also mention consulting a design book for a proper bolt design.
chessguy103
TL;DR Summary
How can I take a 2D pressure problem and then it into a 1D beam problem?
Hi,

Forgive me for the crowded drawing, but please reference the attached screenshot. Let’s say I have 2 plates bolted together by some bolts (red), and on the inside is a pressure w pushing the top plate up, in psi (lb/in^2). In order to get an estimate for the maximum distance between bolts, I want to take the circled part and treat it as a 1D problem.

My question is, how do I take that w, and convert it into q in lb/in?

Thanks

Attachments

• 86C5C921-DD87-49BB-B10B-E46037D4E242.jpeg
    86C5C921-DD87-49BB-B10B-E46037D4E242.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 71
Engineering news on Phys.org
It is rather unclear just what "W" and "Q" are, could you give their definition?

For a simplified approach, take the area in square inches that is exposed to pressure and multiply by the pressure.
Total_Force (on plate) = Area(sq.in.) x Pressure (psi)

To find the force on each bolt, divide Total_Force by number_of_bolts.
force_per_bolt = (Total_Force) / (number_of_bolts)

Then you have to decide if the bolts you want to use are strong enough to hold the thing together. (don't forget a safety factor! You don't want it to take someones arm off if it fails.)

Also decide if the plates are stiff enough so they don't deform like a balloon under pressure; and strong enough that they don't tear through at the bolt heads.

For more details, we need one of the Mechanical Engineers to chime in.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Lnewqban and chessguy103
W is the pressure on the inside surface of the plate in psi, and q is the distributed load (lb/in) when looking at the problem from a 1D point of view, with 2 of the bolts acting as simple supports. The exact values don’t really matter. But let’s say I wanted to prescribe a certain deflection of that beam, and need to solve for L, the distance between the supports (aka bolts). That’s my goal.

So in order to go from psi to lb/in, would I multiply w by the “thickness” of the 1D beam that I’m considering to get to q?

I’m not sure if I’m thinking about this correctly, but that’s what I’m trying to get to.

An uniformly loaded plate deforms in
chessguy103 said:
Summary: How can I take a 2D pressure problem and then it into a 1D beam problem?

Hi,

Forgive me for the crowded drawing, but please reference the attached screenshot. Let’s say I have 2 plates bolted together by some bolts (red), and on the inside is a pressure w pushing the top plate up, in psi (lb/in^2). In order to get an estimate for the maximum distance between bolts, I want to take the circled part and treat it as a 1D problem.

My question is, how do I take that w, and convert it into q in lb/in?

Thanks
A plate bolted all around like that deforms very different from a beam supported by hinges.

Anyway, you could just imaginarily remove two rows of bolts on the longer side of the plate, and use the same value of pressure for uniformly distributed load and consider only the width of the plate supporting that load.

The remaining two rows of bolts will function more like two solid embedments at each end of the beam than hinges, but considering hinges would give you a higher value of safety factor.

Last edited:
Lnewqban said:
A plate bolted all around like that deforms very different from a beam supported by hinges.

Anyway, you could just imaginarily remove two rows of bolts on the longer side of the plate, and use the same value of pressure for uniformly distributed load and consider only the width of the plate supporting that load.

The remaining two rows of bolts will function more like two solid embedments at each end of the beam than hinges, but considering hinges would give you a higher value of safety factor.
If this is a real problem and not a purely academic one, you should consult Chapter 8 in Shigley's Design book (or a similar Machine Design book) to arrive a a proper bolt design that accounts for preload, tensile stress area, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between a 2D problem and a 1D problem?

A 2D problem involves two dimensions, such as length and width, while a 1D problem only involves one dimension, such as length. In other words, a 2D problem considers multiple variables while a 1D problem only considers one variable.

2. Why would you want to convert a 2D problem into a 1D problem?

Converting a 2D problem into a 1D problem can make the problem simpler and easier to solve. It can also help to eliminate unnecessary variables and make the problem more manageable.

3. How do you convert a 2D problem into a 1D problem?

To convert a 2D problem into a 1D problem, you must first identify the main variable that is causing the problem to be 2D. Then, you can either eliminate the other variables or find a way to represent them in terms of the main variable. This will result in a 1D problem that can be solved using one variable.

4. What are some real-world examples of converting a 2D problem into a 1D problem?

One example is converting a 2D map into a 1D graph. The map may have multiple dimensions, such as latitude and longitude, but by representing these dimensions on a graph, the problem becomes 1D and can be solved using one variable. Another example is converting a 2D image into a 1D vector by representing the colors of each pixel as a single value.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to converting a 2D problem into a 1D problem?

Yes, there can be limitations and drawbacks to converting a 2D problem into a 1D problem. Depending on the problem, some information or complexity may be lost in the conversion process, which can affect the accuracy of the solution. Additionally, some problems may not be able to be accurately represented in 1D, making the conversion impossible.