Solenoid with a magnetic core problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of the magnetic field inside a solid core solenoid with 70.0 turns of wire per centimeter and a current of 0.100 A. The solenoid is made up of wire wrapped around a silicon steel core, with an insulator jacket preventing current flow into the core. The discussion also mentions using the regular solenoid equation, B = μ₀nI, with μ₀ replaced by μ₀*5200 to calculate the magnetic field, resulting in a value of 4.55. The conversation also briefly touches on the possibility of using materials to isolate magnetic fields and a request for advice on generating maximum magnetic field from a 2" x 4"
physstudent1

Homework Statement

A long solenoid with 70.0 turns of wire per centimeter carries a current of 0.100 A. The wire that makes up the solenoid is wrapped around a solid core of silicon steel (Km=5200). (The wire of the solenoid is jacketed with an insulator so that none of the current flows into the core.)

For a point inside the core, find the magnitude of the magnetic field B due to the solenoid current.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the regular solenoid equation B = munaught(n)I but i replaced munaught with munaught*5200 this gave me 4.55 but that isn't the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same answer.

BTW, no need to double post. This is the correct forum for this question.

Hi:

How can I generate max magnetic field from 2" x 4" core surface?

Any material can isolate magnetic field?

Regards,
Eugene

1. What is a solenoid with a magnetic core?

A solenoid is an electrical component that consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a cylindrical core. The core is usually made of ferromagnetic material, such as iron, and is used to enhance the magnetic field produced by the solenoid.

2. What are the common problems associated with a solenoid with a magnetic core?

The most common problem with a solenoid with a magnetic core is a decrease in performance due to magnetic saturation. This occurs when the magnetic field strength reaches its maximum limit and can no longer be increased by adding more current to the coil.

3. How does magnetic saturation affect the performance of a solenoid with a magnetic core?

Magnetic saturation can cause a decrease in the magnetic field strength produced by the solenoid, which can lead to decreased efficiency and accuracy in its operation. It can also cause the solenoid to overheat and potentially fail.

4. How can the problem of magnetic saturation be avoided in a solenoid with a magnetic core?

One way to prevent magnetic saturation is by using a core material with a higher saturation point, such as nickel or cobalt. Another method is to use multiple smaller solenoids instead of one large solenoid, as this can distribute the magnetic field more evenly and prevent saturation.

5. Can a solenoid with a magnetic core be repaired if it becomes saturated?

In most cases, a solenoid with a magnetic core cannot be repaired if it becomes saturated. The best solution is to replace the core or the entire solenoid. However, if the saturation is caused by an external magnetic field, it may be possible to shield the solenoid from the field to restore its performance.