Solid Mechanics(Stress Question)

• Thread starter zack7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solid
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving stress and equations. The attempt at a solution involves equating stress and determining the value of P to be 18.5 kips. However, the answer in the book is given as 28.2 kips which does not match the calculations. There is confusion over the correct answer and the conversation ends with a discussion about the magnitude of stress in the thin and fat shafts.
zack7

Homework Statement

In the picture below

Homework Equations

Stress=P/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I equated stress AB=-stress BC
p/pi=-(p-60 kips)/2.25pi

P=18.4615kips
This is not the right answer according to the book

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does anybody know whether my answer is right or wrong?

Thank you

Well you have the correct equations...so let's check the math;;;
P/pi = (60-P)/2.25(pi)
2.25P = 60 -P
3.25P = 60
P = 18.5 K

Looks Good!

But for my homework, I got this question wrong and in the book the answer is 28.2kips

I don't know where that answer comes from...If P =28.2 K, then the force in the fat shaft would be woul be 31.8 K compression; and the tensile stress in the thin shaft would be 9 ksi, while the compressive stress in the fat one would be 4.5 ksi...far from equal in magnitude... off by a factor of 2..

zack7: Nice work. I currently agree with your answer in post 1, and with the answer by PhanthomJay. The answer in the book currently appears wrong.

Last edited:

1. What is stress in solid mechanics?

Stress in solid mechanics refers to the internal forces that act on a material when it is subjected to external forces. It is a measure of the intensity of the internal forces within a material, and is typically represented by a force per unit area.

2. How is stress calculated in solid mechanics?

Stress can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the material. This is known as engineering stress. Alternatively, true stress can be calculated by taking into account the actual change in cross-sectional area of the material under load.

3. What are the different types of stress in solid mechanics?

The three main types of stress in solid mechanics are tensile stress, compressive stress, and shear stress. Tensile stress occurs when a material is stretched, while compressive stress occurs when it is squeezed. Shear stress is caused by forces acting in opposite directions parallel to a surface.

4. What is the relationship between stress and strain in solid mechanics?

Stress and strain are directly related in solid mechanics. Strain is a measure of the deformation or change in shape of a material under stress, and it is directly proportional to stress. This relationship is known as Hooke's Law, and it holds true for most materials within their elastic limit.

5. How is stress analyzed in solid mechanics?

Stress analysis in solid mechanics involves using mathematical models and experimental techniques to predict the behavior of a material under various types of stress. This includes determining the maximum stress a material can withstand before failure, as well as the distribution of stress within a material under different loading conditions.