Solid State - Sommerfeld Drude Model, Calculating N of Elect.

Also, the factor of 4 in the integrand on the second line should be 1 (since F(p) = 1 at T = 0). Correcting these errors gives the same answer as attempt 1. In summary, the number of electrons with momentum less than half the Fermi momentum in a system of N electrons at T = 0 and confined to volume V is given by the integral: $$\frac{V}{4h\pi^3}\int^{\frac{p_f}{2h}}_{0} d\vec{p}$$where the density of states in p-space is given by $$D(p) = \frac{V}{4h^3\pi^
zellwwf
Hello PF :)

Homework Statement

Consider a system of N electrons at temperature T = 0, each having a mass of m, confined to volume V. Find the number of electrons that:

a) have momentum [itex]p<p_f/2[/itex]
b) ...

Homework Equations

The relevant equations can be derived below:
but here is a sample of them
[itex]\int F(k)D(k)d\vec{k}[/itex]
where F: How many electrons per k-state. function of magnitute of K
where D: density in k-space. (since we turned a discrete sum into an integral), function of magnitude of K too (although it's usually a constant)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have two attempted solutions for A, and they are NOT equal, they differ by a factor of h:

Attempt 1:
note, i will be using the reduced Planck's constant, but i can't find the bar, so i will denote it by H.
[itex]\vec{p}=h \vec{k}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{\vec{p}}{h}=\vec{k}[/itex]
thus:
[itex]d\vec{p}=h d\vec{k}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{h}d\vec{p}=d\vec{k}[/itex]

Now we need to calculate the density of states in K-space (too early in the morning to write it down how i got it, but i believe it's correct):
[itex]D(k) = \frac{2V}{(2 \pi)^3}[/itex]

and since:
[itex]F(k) = 1[/itex] at T = 0;
disregarding spin, as we just multiply by two if we need to 'account' for it in this question

now we can replace these results in our integral above:
[itex]\int^{\frac{p_f}{2}}_{0}F(k)D(k)d\vec{k} = \frac{V}{4h\pi^3}\int^{\frac{p_f}{2h}}_{0}d\vec{p} [/itex]
transforming to spherical coordinates reduces the integral to:
[itex]=\frac{V}{4h\pi^3}\int^{\frac{p_f}{2h}}_{0}4\pi p^2dp [/itex]
[itex]=\frac{V}{h\pi^2}\int^{\frac{p_f}{2h}}_{0}p^2dp[/itex]
[itex]=\frac{V}{24h^4\pi^2}p_f^3[/itex]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now I will attempt two:
i will try to derive the integral itself for P-space, not K-Space

the only thing that i believe changes is the Density function, D(p)
since:
[itex]\vec{k}=\frac{\vec{p}}{h}=\frac{2\pi}{L}*(\vec{i}+\vec{j}+\vec{k})[/itex]
thus:
[itex]\vec{p}=\frac{2h\pi}{L}*(\vec{i}+\vec{j}+\vec{k})[/itex]
thus D(p) can be obtained:
[itex]D(p) = \frac{2L^3}{8h^3\pi^3}=\frac{V}{4h^3\pi^3}[/itex]

F(p) = 1 also, at T = 0; (again, disregarding spin)
so now we need to only evaluate the integral:

[itex]\int F(p)D(p)d\vec{p}[/itex]
[itex]=\frac{V}{4h^3\pi^3}\int^{\frac{p_f}{2}}_{0}d\vec{p}[/itex]
[itex]=\frac{V}{4h^3\pi^3}\int^{\frac{p_f}{2}}_{0}4\pi p^2dp[/itex]
[itex]=\frac{V}{3h^3\pi^2}p_f^3[/itex]

-----
Apparently they are not equal,
i know i made a mistake, or two, or three..
can someone show me :)

Physics news on Phys.org
zellwwf said:
Hello PF :)

Now we need to calculate the density of states in K-space (too early in the morning to write it down how i got it, but i believe it's correct):
[itex]D(k) = \frac{2V}{(2 \pi)^3}[/itex]
If I recall correctly, the factor of 2 in the numerator above is to take care of the spin. If so, you are not disregarding the spin.

[itex]\int^{\frac{p_f}{2}}_{0}F(k)D(k)d\vec{k} = \frac{V}{4h\pi^3}\int^{\frac{p_f}{2h}}_{0}d\vec{p} [/itex]
Note that the upper limit in the integral on the left should be a value of k rather than p. Correcting this will change the upper limit in the integral on right (which should be a value of p). Also, the integrals are over 3 dimensions in k or p space. Did you include enough factors of h when changing the ##d\vec{k}## to ##d\vec{p}##?

Now I will attempt two:
[itex]\int F(p)D(p)d\vec{p}[/itex]
[itex]=\frac{V}{4h^3\pi^3}\int^{\frac{p_f}{2}}_{0}d\vec{p}[/itex]
[itex]=\frac{V}{4h^3\pi^3}\int^{\frac{p_f}{2}}_{0}4\pi p^2dp[/itex]
[itex]=\frac{V}{3h^3\pi^2}p_f^3[/itex]

When evaluating the integral at the upper limit, it appears that you used ##p_f## for the upper limit instead of ##p_f/2##

1. What is the Sommerfeld Drude Model?

The Sommerfeld Drude Model is a theoretical model used to describe the behavior of electrons in a solid state material. It takes into account the effects of both the electric field and the collisions between electrons and atoms in the material.

2. How is the Sommerfeld Drude Model used to calculate the number of electrons in a material?

The Sommerfeld Drude Model uses the concept of density of states to calculate the number of electrons in a material. It takes into account the energy levels available to the electrons and the probability of an electron occupying those levels.

3. What is the significance of the number of electrons in a material?

The number of electrons in a material plays a crucial role in determining its electrical and thermal properties. It also affects the material's response to external electric and magnetic fields.

4. How does the Sommerfeld Drude Model differ from other models used to describe the behavior of electrons in solids?

The Sommerfeld Drude Model is a semi-classical model that combines classical mechanics with quantum mechanics, while other models may focus on one or the other. It also takes into account the effects of electron collisions, which other models may not consider.

5. Can the Sommerfeld Drude Model accurately predict the behavior of electrons in all types of solid state materials?

No, the Sommerfeld Drude Model has limitations and may not accurately describe the behavior of electrons in all materials. It is most commonly used for metals and simple semiconductors. Other models may be more suitable for more complex materials.