1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solubility of Cr hydroxide in buffered solution

1. Oct 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the solubility (gram/liter) of Cr(OH)3 (103.02 g/mol) in a solution buffered at pH = 8.673? The pKsp of Cr(OH)3 is 30.220.

2. Relevant equations
    Ksp = [Cr][OH]^3
    Cr(OH)3 -> Cr + 3OH

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have already solved that Ksp = 6.0256 E -31, but i'm not entirely sure what to do with the buffer pH. I tried using it to find the pOH and subsequently [OH], but for some reason I'm not getting the right answer. Do I plug [OH] into the Ksp equation after finding out the concentration using the pH or is there a step i'm missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sounds like you are approaching it correctly. Use the concentration of [OH-] you obtain from the pOH in the Ksp expression and determine [Cr+3]. From that revelation back out how many grams of Cr(OH)3 will produce that concentration of [Cr+3].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?