Solubility of Non polar substances in water

In summary: Carbon_dioxide.In summary, water is able to dissolve O2 and CO2, despite their non-polar nature, due to the linear structure of CO2 and the triplet form of O2, which allows them to coordinate with the polar molecules in water. This reaction can be considered as dissolution, although it may involve reversible formation of covalent bonds in some cases.
Kaneki123
Water can dissolve O2 and CO2, both of which are non-polar...According to my understanding, water can only dissolve molecules which have polarity in their structure( like salt or sugar)...Oxygen gas is non-polar due to same atoms...I am not sure about CO2 but I think it is non-polar due to equal attraction of electrons...So why can water dissolve these two substances?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
To some extent everything dissolves in everything.

CO2 is a bit different, as it not just dissolve.

Likes Bystander
Borek said:
To some extent everything dissolves in everything.

CO2 is a bit different, as it not just dissolve.
This.

CO2 turns into carbonic acid in water

HAYAO said:
This.

CO2 turns into carbonic acid in water
Then it would not exactly be 'dissolving''...right??

Kaneki123 said:
Then it would not exactly be 'dissolving''...right??
well it is considered as dissolution.

The reaction of CO2 with water is reversible, so I suppose it's 'OK' to consider it as dissolution.
In most cases however I suspect there should be no irreversible formation of covalent bonds, at most coordination (water solvates the molecules, so they separate and macroscopically the added substance 'disappears'), to be able to call it 'dissolution'. I'm sure physical chemists have a better definition; this is a messy organic chemist's point of view :wink:

Examples of substances that will 'disappear' in water but are actually reacting (irreversibly, I think it's safe to say) rather than 'dissolving'.

K
NaH
AlCl3
SOCl2 (I guess some may even dissolve initially, but it won't hang around very long)

Kaneki123 said:
Water can dissolve O2 and CO2, both of which are non-polar...According to my understanding, water can only dissolve molecules which have polarity in their structure( like salt or sugar)...Oxygen gas is non-polar due to same atoms...I am not sure about CO2 but I think it is non-polar due to equal attraction of electrons...So why can water dissolve these two substances?
CO2 is nonpolar b/c it is a linear molecule with diametrically opposing dipoles at 180o bond angle. => O=C=O and Oxygen (O2) is a triplet (dipole = 0) :O=O: that coordinates with Hydrogen in water ( ---:O=O:---H-O-H---:O=O:---). see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triplet_oxygen

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the solubility of non polar substances in water?

The solubility of non polar substances in water is generally low. Non polar substances do not have an electric charge, so they are unable to interact with the polar water molecules and dissolve easily.

2. Why are non polar substances insoluble in water?

Non polar substances are insoluble in water because they do not have a charge, unlike polar substances which have positive and negative charges that can interact with the polar water molecules. This lack of interaction makes it difficult for non polar substances to dissolve in water.

3. Can non polar substances be dissolved in water?

Yes, non polar substances can be dissolved in water, but it requires additional energy or a solvent to overcome the lack of interaction between the non polar substance and water molecules. This is why non polar substances are generally considered insoluble in water.

4. What factors affect the solubility of non polar substances in water?

The main factors that affect the solubility of non polar substances in water are the polarity of the substance, the temperature of the water, and the presence of any additional solvents or substances that can help dissolve the non polar substance.

5. How can the solubility of non polar substances in water be increased?

The solubility of non polar substances in water can be increased by using additional solvents or substances that can help dissolve the non polar substance, increasing the temperature of the water, or altering the polarity of the non polar substance to make it more compatible with water molecules.