Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solubility of Non polar substances in water

1. Oct 5, 2016 #1
    Water can dissolve O2 and CO2, both of which are non-polar....According to my understanding, water can only dissolve molecules which have polarity in their structure( like salt or sugar)....Oxygen gas is non-polar due to same atoms...I am not sure about CO2 but I think it is non-polar due to equal attraction of electrons...So why can water dissolve these two substances???

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2016 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

To some extent everything dissolves in everything.

CO2 is a bit different, as it not just dissolve.

4. Oct 5, 2016 #3
    This.

CO2 turns into carbonic acid in water

5. Oct 6, 2016 #4
    Then it would not exactly be 'dissolving''...right??

6. Oct 6, 2016 #5
    well it is considered as dissolution.

7. Oct 8, 2016 #6
    The reaction of CO2 with water is reversible, so I suppose it's 'OK' to consider it as dissolution.
    In most cases however I suspect there should be no irreversible formation of covalent bonds, at most coordination (water solvates the molecules, so they separate and macroscopically the added substance 'disappears'), to be able to call it 'dissolution'. I'm sure physical chemists have a better definition; this is a messy organic chemist's point of view :wink:

Examples of substances that will 'disappear' in water but are actually reacting (irreversibly, I think it's safe to say) rather than 'dissolving'.

K
    NaH
    AlCl3
    SOCl2 (I guess some may even dissolve initially, but it won't hang around very long)

8. Oct 8, 2016 #7

James Pelezo

Gold Member

CO2 is nonpolar b/c it is a linear molecule with diametrically opposing dipoles at 180o bond angle. => O=C=O and Oxygen (O2) is a triplet (dipole = 0) :O=O: that coordinates with Hydrogen in water ( ---:O=O:---H-O-H---:O=O:---). see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triplet_oxygen

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted