Solution of an Ordinary Differential Equation

In summary, the definition of a solution to a differential equation states that it must satisfy the equation for every x in the given interval. If a solution is found for a different interval, it may not necessarily be a solution for the original problem. The domain of interest is crucial when discussing solutions to differential equations.
controlswhiz
Hi,

The definition (see attachment) says that f(x) is a solution to
the differential equation if it satisfies the equation for every x
in the interval.

Assuming that I have a differential equation that I want to
solve and the D.E. has an interval [itex]I_1[/itex], and I've
come up a solution with an interval [itex]I_2[/itex],
where [itex]I_2[/itex] is a subset of [itex]I_1[/itex], is it
still a solution to the differential equation? If it isn't, does the
solution still make sense?

I'm new to differential equations and haven't solved anything
DE yet.

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 515
Physics news on Phys.org
controlswhiz said:
Assuming that I have a differential equation that I want to
solve and the D.E. has an interval [itex]I_1[/itex], and I've
come up a solution with an interval [itex]I_2[/itex],
where [itex]I_2[/itex] is a subset of [itex]I_1[/itex], is it
still a solution to the differential equation?

The blurb could be a little bit clearer. When talking about a solution to a differential equation in a given problem the domain of interest is essential. The blurb implies this but it could be explained a bit more explicitly. So to answer your question, it is not a solution to a specific problem posed on [itex]I_1[/itex]. That you found a function that works on [itex]I_2[/itex] would satisfies a different problem, one posed on [itex]I_2[/itex].

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

1. What is the definition of a solution to an ordinary differential equation?

A solution to an ordinary differential equation is a function that satisfies the given equation and its initial conditions. It is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between a dependent variable and its derivatives.

2. How do you solve an ordinary differential equation?

The method for solving an ordinary differential equation depends on its type and order. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. In some cases, numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods may be used.

3. What are the initial conditions of an ordinary differential equation?

The initial conditions of an ordinary differential equation refer to the values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific starting point, usually denoted as x = 0. These conditions are necessary for finding a unique solution to the equation.

4. Can an ordinary differential equation have multiple solutions?

It depends on the initial conditions and the type of equation. In some cases, an ordinary differential equation may have multiple solutions that satisfy the given conditions. However, there are also equations that have a unique solution or no solution at all.

5. What are some real-world applications of ordinary differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations have various applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. They are commonly used to model systems that change continuously over time, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also used in the study of motion, heat transfer, and fluid dynamics.